• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

One of the simplest dishes I know of, but a firm favourite which, for some reason, I haven't made in a while.

Kidney (porcine in this case, although any will be fine), mushrooms (again, any) and yellow Chinese chives*. Stir fried with a chilli (from the balcony)  and anointed with a little Shaoxing wine and a tiny amount of soy sauce.

Served with rice.

Kidney mushroom yellow chives.jpg

(The lack of clarity in the picture is caused by me catching it through a cloud of steam. My kitchen is very cold and the food was very hot. And I was in a hurry to take the picture then eat dinner before it froze!)

*Yellow Chinese chives - 韭黄  jiǔ huáng - (sometimes called "hothouse chives") are regular Chinese chives which are grown in the dark so they do not turn green. They taste more subtle than the green ones, but have a noticeably stronger aroma. I bought them this morning in the local market and had them in a closed bag. When I went into the local store to pick up a beer or six, the woman behind the counter said "Oh! You bought yellow chives. My favourite." She couldn't see them; just smell them.

Hothouse Chives 1.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

One of the simplest dishes I know how of, but a firm favourite which, for some reason, I haven't made in a while.

Kidney (porcine), mushrooms and yellow Chinese chives*. Stir fried with a chilli (from the balcony)  and anointed with a little Shaoxing wine and a tiny amount of soy sauce.

Served with rice.

{The lack of clarity in the picture is caused by me catching it through a cloud of steam. My kitchen is very cold and the food was very hot. And I was in a hurry to take the picture then eat dinner before it froze!}

*Yellow Chinese chives - 韭黄  jiǔ huáng - (sometimes called "hothouse chives") are regular Chinese chives which are grown in the dark so they do not turn green. They taste more subtle than the green ones, but have a noticeably stronger aroma. I bought them this morning in the local market and had them in a closed bag. When I went into the local store to pick up a beer or six, the woman behind the counter said "Oh! You bought yellow chives. My favourite." She couldn't see them; just smell them.

Hothouse Chives 1.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

One of the simplest dishes I know how of, but a firm favourite which, for some reason, I haven't made in a while.

Kidney (porcine), mushrooms and yellow Chinese chives*. Stir fried with a chilli (from the balcony)  and anointed with a little Shaoxing wine and a tiny amount of soy sauce.

Served with rice.

Hothouse Chives 1.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

Served with rice.

*Yellow Chinese chives (sometimes called "hothouse chives") are regular Chinese chives which are grown in the dark so they do not turn green. They taste more subtle than the green ones, but have a noticeably stronger aroma. I bought them this morning in the local market and had them in a closed bag. When I went into the local store to pick up a beer or six, the woman behind the counter said "Oh! You bought yellow chives. My favourite." She couldn't see them; just smell them.

Hothouse Chives 1.jpg