• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

They set the traps up so high I can't read the tags. Just glad they are monitoring whatever pest is prevalent. Consumers need to understand the truly in the trenches battles farmers go through. Medfly is short for Mediterranean Fruit Fly - a non native import that has been devastating.  White fly sucks - literally. For localized infestations I lie down and water blast the underside of the leaves where the youngsters grow, cut off the plant parts that already are all black fungoide (bag and dispose NEVER compost)  Then spray with insecticidal soap - repeat water blast and soap as needed. Of course an orchard can not do that so that mental barrier break of pesticide necessity...

As you travel across the country I am sure you encounter the agricultural checkpoints to try to halt import of crud. Arizona/California border especially - stop every car.

heidih

heidih

They set the traps up so high I can't read the tags. Just glad they are monitoring whatever pest is prevalent. Consumers need to understand the truly in the trenches battles farmers go through. Medfly is short for Mediterranean  - a non native import that has been devastating.  White fly sucks - literally. For localized infestations I lie down and water blast the underside of the eaves where the youngsters grow, cut off the plant parts that already are all black fungoide (bag and dispose NEVER compost)  Then spray with insecticidal soap - repeat water blast and soap as needed. Of course an orchard can not do that so that mental barrier break of pesticide necessity...

As you travel across the country I am sure you encounter the agricultural checkpoints to try to halt import of crud. Arizona/Califronia border especially - stop every car.