• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

40 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Are you in Florida? ( iguana ? Not in Brooklyn.)

First, beautiful work!!!

Second, my suggestion:

Those are very tall raised beds. How much rain do you get in your area? It depends on the percolation quality of the earth the raised beds are on. If the percolation is not much, the raised beds can become bathtubs and your plants can get root rot.

I would drill small weep holes in between the blocks on the bottom run of the blocks and put a bucket of gravel around the holes before you pile soil on top. You put small drain hole even for small flower puts to avoid root rot.

Lets see some green stuff in those beds. 🙂

dcarch

Yes, I am on an island in front of Miami, iguanas are all over here. The raised beds are very tall. We got the soil from a very nice coop and the head gardener gave us some advice, there is  perlite until half of the beds and very good organic soil on top. @rotutsthe neighbor just complained about the iguanas eating it all! Roasted iguanas not sure are going to enter the menu soon 🤣

Franci

Franci

39 minutes ago, dcarch said:

First, beautiful work!!!

Second, my suggestion:

Those are very tall raised beds. How much rain do you get in your area? It depends on the percolation quality of the earth the raised beds are on. If the percolation is not much, the raised beds can become bathtubs and your plants can get root rot.

I would drill small weep holes in between the blocks on the bottom run of the blocks and put a bucket of gravel around the holes before you pile soil on top. You put small drain hole even for small flower puts to avoid root rot.

Lets see some green stuff in those beds. 🙂

dcarch

Yes, I am on an island in front of Miami, iguanas are all over here. The raised are very tall. We got the soil from a very nice coop and the head gardener gave us some advice, there is  perlite until half of the beds and very good organic soil on top. @rotutsthe neighbor just complained about the iguanas eating it all! Roasted iguanas not sure are going to enter the menu soon 🤣

Franci

Franci

33 minutes ago, dcarch said:

First, beautiful work!!!

Second, my suggestion:

Lets see some green stuff in those beds. :-)

dcarch

Yes, I am on an island front of Miami, iguanas are all over here. The raised are very tall. We got the soil from a very nice coop and the head gardener gave us some advice, there is  perlite until half of the beds and very good organic soil on top. @rotutsthe neighbor just complained about the iguanas eating it all! Roasted iguanas not sure are going to enter the menu soon 🤣