• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

7 minutes ago, Nyleve Baar said:

I've had a curry leaf plant for about 5 years. Indoors all winter, then out on the patio in the summer. Some years it struggles badly and some years it gets that horrible dreaded scale all over it and I need to go over the whole plant with a q-tip soaked in alcohol to get rid of them. This past winter it was so badly infested with scale that I was going to either throw it away or cut it down to the stalk. I went with cutting it down - cleaned all the scale off the main stem and repotted into fresh dirt. And it came back better than ever! It branched out in several places and put out more leaves than it's ever had. Very pleased. Don't give up on yours.  It's still a baby. Check it for scale or aphids. Probably needs better light but otherwise they are pretty resilient.

Thanks.  I check it all the time for scale/aphids/other pests....  right now, it's clean.  Many years ago, my lime tree had scales and they almost killed it. I did what you did and like you said, it came back really well.  I think I just need to be more patient. 

I don't think it needs more light - and I definitely don't need to upgrade my light - that light is currently only running at 60% output - it's a huge beast capable of putting out 1200umol/s/m2!  Very few lights can put out that kind of PPFD.

KennethT

KennethT

3 minutes ago, Nyleve Baar said:

I've had a curry leaf plant for about 5 years. Indoors all winter, then out on the patio in the summer. Some years it struggles badly and some years it gets that horrible dreaded scale all over it and I need to go over the whole plant with a q-tip soaked in alcohol to get rid of them. This past winter it was so badly infested with scale that I was going to either throw it away or cut it down to the stalk. I went with cutting it down - cleaned all the scale off the main stem and repotted into fresh dirt. And it came back better than ever! It branched out in several places and put out more leaves than it's ever had. Very pleased. Don't give up on yours.  It's still a baby. Check it for scale or aphids. Probably needs better light but otherwise they are pretty resilient.

Thanks.  I check it all the time for scale/aphids/other pests....  right now, it's clean.  Many years ago, my lime tree had scales and they almost killed it. I did what you did and like you said, it came back really well.  I think I just need to be more patient.