• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

22 hours ago, heidih said:

No ya need really good corn alongside. My ideal summer meal when I had access.And further to fruit beetles can not find discussion on https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/love-the-fig

Back when we had an airplane we used to go to Blakesburg, Iowa to the Antique Aircraft Association fly-in at a most insalubrious time of year--August. Everyone tied down their planes and camped either under the wing or in a tent. We had a 1947 Luscombe, grossly underpowered for Colorado altitude but a real tiger in Iowa. Every night we'd pile into cars and trucks and drive into town for dinner at Elaine's (I think it was the only place in the little town), which was platters of sliced tomatoes, buckets of corn, and pitchers of beer, of course. Pork tenderloin sandwiches for protein. I miss the corn and tomatoes, but not the humidity. I don't think I've had such good tomatoes and corn since. Everyone traded rides, and a highlight for me was a flight in a Beech Staggerwing, a real beast compared to our little Luscombe. My husband was the pilot--I was in the right seat as navigator, a task for which I have no talent.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

22 hours ago, heidih said:

No ya need really good corn alongside. My ideal summer meal when I had access.And further to fruit beetles can not find discussion on https://www.newyorker.com/tech/annals-of-technology/love-the-fig

Back when we had an airplane we used to go to Blakesburg, Iowa to the Antique Aircraft Association fly-in at a most insalubrious time of year--August. Everyone tied down their planes and camped either under the wing or in a tent. We had a 1947 Luscombe, grossly underpowered for Colorado altitude but a real tiger in Iowa. Every night we'd pile into cars and trucks and drive into town for dinner, which was platters of sliced tomatoes, buckets of corn, and pitchers of beer, of course. Pork tenderloin sandwiches for protein. I miss the corn and tomatoes, but not the humidity. I don't think I've had such good tomatoes and corn since. Everyone traded rides, and a highlight for me was a flight in a Beech Staggerwing, a real beast compared to our little Luscombe. My husband was the pilot--I was in the right seat as navigator, a task for which I have no talent.