• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

robirdstx

robirdstx

9 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Thank you so much!  I love flowers, I just have no patience to plant them every year, unlike a food garden that I really enjoy.  But, these peonies are my pride and joy and I've worked very hard on them.  My mom worked at a peony farm when I was little and it sparked my love for them.

I wouldn't say peppery, although the red colored ones, now that you say that, do have an undertone of that.  Peonies smell very sweet, but not sickeningly so.  I frankly don't really like the smell of roses....and peonies are nothing like them (not that I would ever turn down roses ;) ).

I wish they would bloom all summer long, but then, I know that maybe they wouldn't be as special to me :)

I too love peonies! Back in the late ‘70s, I worked at a wholesale nursery in southern Illinois. Peonies were one of our crops. They are a lot of work to get to market. Ours were shipped to Chicago for Mother’s Day and Memorial Day. 

robirdstx

robirdstx

5 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Thank you so much!  I love flowers, I just have no patience to plant them every year, unlike a food garden that I really enjoy.  But, these peonies are my pride and joy and I've worked very hard on them.  My mom worked at a peony farm when I was little and it sparked my love for them.

I wouldn't say peppery, although the red colored ones, now that you say that, do have an undertone of that.  Peonies smell very sweet, but not sickeningly so.  I frankly don't really like the smell of roses....and peonies are nothing like them (not that I would ever turn down roses ;) ).

I wish they would bloom all summer long, but then, I know that maybe they wouldn't be as special to me :)

I too love peonies! Back in the late ‘70s, I worked at a wholesale nursery in southern Illinois. Peonies were one of our crops. They are a lot of work to get market. Ours were shipped to Chicago for Mother’s Day and Memorial Day.