• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

Speaking of pest abatement...

Has anyone tried methyl 2-aminobenzoate on blueberries?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_anthranilate

It's said birds don't like the stuff.  EPA (the US Environmental Protection Agency) approved for blueberries, methyl 2-aminobenzoate is the active agent in grape Kool-Aid.  According to the University of Massachusetts Kool-Aid at the rate of four packets per gallon makes an effective avian abatement spray.

Methyl 2-aminobenzoate is found in our native V. labrusca grapes, particularly Concord (two vines of which I'm growing on my balcony) though not in V. vinifera.  I have yet to see a grape but it's said Concord is attacked less than other Vitis varieties.

Interesting (to me at least) methyl 2-aminobenzoate is also excreted by foxes in their musk.  Perhaps this is why our fine feathered friends developed an aversion to the chemical.  Not a fact, mind you, just a musing on my part.

Anyway there is always strychnine.

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

Speaking of pest abatement...

Has anyone tried methyl 2-aminobenzoate on blueberries?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_anthranilate

It's said birds don't like the stuff.  EPA (the US Environmental Protection Agency) approved for blueberries, methyl 2-aminobenzoate is the active agent in grape in Kool-Aid.  According to the University of Massachusetts Kool-Aid at the rate of four packets per gallon makes an effective avian abatement spray.

Methyl 2-aminobenzoate is found in our native V. labrusca grapes, particularly Concord (two vines of which I'm growing on my balcony) though not in V. vinifera.  I have yet to see a grape but it's said Concord is attacked less than other Vitis varieties.

Interesting (to me at least) methyl 2-aminobenzoate is also excreted by foxes in their musk.  Perhaps this is why our fine feathered friends developed an aversion to the chemical.  Not a fact, mind you, just a musing on my part.

Anyway there is always strychnine.