• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

'Perennial' can be an arbitrary term in some ways, especially taking into account micro-climates and such.

As an example, true tarragon is considered a hardy perennial here, but in some winters in may not survive without special protection.

On 9/8/2017 at 3:29 PM, heidih said:

I am fascinated by the perennial vegetables - perhaps someone could keep a list and we can warehouse it somewhere on the site?

Cool idea! 

This is an interesting book: Perennial Vegetables: From Artichokes to Zuiki Taro, A Gardener's Guide to Over 100 Delicious and Easy to Grow Edibles, by Eric Toensmeier

And another one written by Stephen Barstow, who runs our Hablitzia Tamnoides group on Facebook: Around the World in 80 Plants.

Stephen Barstow's blog: http://www.edimentals.com/blog/

The Plants for a Future website is very useful—7000+ edible, medicinal and useful plants.

I just noticed that they have some books in their bookstore that I haven't read yet.

Something that totally baffles me given all the attention that climate change and hunger get—why aren't there armies of volunteers out planting perennial edibles (many of them ARE well known.)

Don't just talk the talk—walk the walk....this is just my opinion, it isn't intended to be specifically directed at anyone or any particular group.

Billions of plants could be planted.

There are perennial edibles that could/would sequester carbon—mulberry trees grow faster than heck!!!

There are millions of acres along interstates and the like where stuff like that could be safely planted.

Other areas too!

Anyway.

I'm doing what I can do in my tiny part of the world.

:smile:

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

'Perennial' can be an arbitrary term in some ways, especially taking into account micro-climates and such.

As an example, true tarragon is considered a hardy perennial here, but in some winters in may not survive without special protection.

15 hours ago, heidih said:

I am fascinated by the perennial vegetables - perhaps someone could keep a list and we can warehouse it somewhere on the site?

Cool idea! 

This is an interesting book: Perennial Vegetables: From Artichokes to Zuiki Taro, A Gardener's Guide to Over 100 Delicious and Easy to Grow Edibles, by Eric Toensmeier

And another one written by Stephen Barstow, who runs our Hablitzia Tamnoides group on Facebook: Around the World in 80 Plants.

The Plants for a Future website is very useful—7000+ edible, medicinal and useful plants.

I just noticed that they have some books in their bookstore that I haven't read yet.

Something that totally baffles me given all the attention that climate change and hunger get—why aren't there armies of volunteers out planting perennial edibles (many of them ARE well known.)

Don't just talk the talk—walk the walk....this is just my opinion, it isn't intended to be specifically directed at anyone or any particular group.

There are perennial edibles that could/would sequester carbon—mulberry trees grow faster than heck!!!

There are millions of acres along interstates and the like where stuff like that could be safely planted.

Other areas too!

Anyway.

I'm doing what I can go in my tiny part of the world.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

15 hours ago, heidih said:

Cool idea! 

Don't just talk the talk—walk the walk....this is just my opinion, it isn't intended to be directed at anyone or any particular group.

Other areas too!

Anyway.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

14 hours ago, heidih said:

Cool idea! 

Don't just talk the talk—walk the walk.

Other areas too!

Anyway.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Cool idea! 

There are millions of acres along interstates and the like where stuff like that could be planted.

Other areas too!

Anyway.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Cool idea! 

There's million of acres along interstates and the like where stuff like that could be planted.

Anyway.