• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

The sweet ones are sweeter than any I've ever purchased besides real Vidalia onions.  We use a lot of onions....ease of not having to buy them.....habit....lol.  I had so many awesome onions last year.  I bagged them and kept them in the garage fridge.  I JUST last week had to purchase onions from the store.

Got it.  I always thought that an onion was an onion (of comparable types).  For me, if I run out, I can run to the supermarket that's about 200 feet away and grab more.  I wish I had more space so I could grown SE Asian shallots - they ahve a different water content than European style shallots and nowadays they're at least $8 per pound!!!!! And they're hard to find - I basically can only get them in Chinatown. Even the standard European ones are like $6 per pound now!

KennethT

KennethT

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

The sweet ones are sweeter than any I've ever purchased besides real Vidalia onions.  We use a lot of onions....ease of not having to buy them.....habit....lol.  I had so many awesome onions last year.  I bagged them and kept them in the garage fridge.  I JUST last week had to purchase onions from the store.

Got it.  I always thought that an onion was an onion (of comparable types).  For me, if I run out, I can run to the supermarket that's about 200 feet away and grab more.  I wish I had more space so I could grown SE Asian shallots - they ahve a different water content than European style shallots and nowadays they're at least $6 per pound!!!!!