• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chromedome

chromedome

Came home on Monday after spending several days in NS visiting my mom and other family, as well as my longtime best friend's mom ("Mom #2"). The garden, of course, had run wild in my absence.

My yellow bush beans are spent but the green beans and green filet beans are still going; and in fact the filet beans are just now hitting their stride. Harvested 3 lbs more when I got home, which by my count brings me up to 42 lbs blanched and frozen. Also harvested some broccoli and broccolini, a couple of pounds of tomatoes (the deluge is just beginning), another couple of cups of shell peas, several zucchini (totaling 3 lbs or thereabouts), my three surviving cabbages (which will become this year's kraut), and a basket of chard and other greens (radish tops, beet tops and lacinato kale). I'm probably forgetting something, but it's late and I'm tired. Will post a few pics tomorrow.

ETA: ...and here are the pics. Tomatoes in the bowl are from my first night back, those out of the bowl were from the second.

20230905_200626.thumb.jpg.9b6da3885a5b42a19f1290c16d7ef50d.jpg

Most of my tomatoes so far are the cocktail and cherry varieties, but I've also gotten my first couple of Romas and Black Krims. The larger Krim checked in at 14 ounces.

20230904_183038.thumb.jpg.e13d32d5fa6e694e92c18efb07385b90.jpg

Tomorrow I'll harvest salad greens again, and by then the beans and peas will need picking again as well.

I believe I mentioned upthread that the broccoli I planted this year pushes out lots of side shoots if you harvest the main head early, resulting in more broccoli overall. Here's what it looks like in practice:

20230905_185508.thumb.jpg.147c6609bc653d6fbabb5b07c391edd7.jpg

My dill is about 7 feet tall right now! Gotta buy some pickling cukes, because my own plants aren't going to give me enough to be going on with (given the opportunity, the two younger grandkids will hoover an entire jar at one sitting).

20230905_193129.thumb.jpg.adacea7a16998c9b6e6008507116253f.jpg

chromedome

chromedome

Came home on Monday after spending several days in NS visiting my mom and other family, as well as my longtime best friend's mom ("Mom #2"). The garden, of course, had run wild in my absence.

My yellow bush beans are spent but the green beans and green filet beans are still going; and in fact the filet beans are just now hitting their stride. Harvested 3 lbs more when I got home, which by my count brings me up to 42 lbs blanched and frozen. Also harvested some broccoli and broccolini, a couple of pounds of tomatoes (the deluge is just beginning), another couple of cups of shell peas, several zucchini (totaling 3 lbs or thereabouts), my three surviving cabbages (which will become this year's kraut), and a basket of chard and other greens (radish tops, beet tops and lacinato kale). I'm probably forgetting something, but it's late and I'm tired. Will post a few pics tomorrow.

Most of my tomatoes so far are the cocktail and cherry varieties, but I've also gotten my first couple of Romas and Black Krims. The larger Krim checked in at 14 ounces.

Tomorrow I'll harvest salad greens again, and by then the beans and peas will need picking again as well.