• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

19 hours ago, PositiveMD said:

@CanadianHomeChef For what it's worth, in modernist cuisine, they stated that the temperatures inside the rational combi ovens weren't very accurate below ~140 F. So I'm not sure how accurate this oven would be compared to the rational ones. 

A smaller oven could be an advantage in this regard -- less space to cover with temperature sensors and quicker response when the temp needs to change. (OTOH, probably easier to overshoot.)

That said, lots of useful sous vide tasks at 140F and above. You might not get a perfectly rare steak, but steaks are easy to do in a water bath. But short ribs braised in a sauce would be a game changer.

Likewise, if it's accurate above 140F it's useful for all manner of egg dishes where bagging or jarring underwater is a huge pain. 

For vegetables I see two advantages. One, low barrier to entry. If I'm serving carrots as a side dish on a weeknight, I'm not going to drag out a circulator and bag the carrots; I'm just going to roast them. Being able to do SV in the oven makes it an equivalent effort. On top of that, being able to temperature control a vegetable dish that's hard to fit into a bag would be really fantastic -- I can't be the only one who avoids making gratins because I can never get the potatoes done just right.

dtremit

dtremit

19 hours ago, PositiveMD said:

@CanadianHomeChef For what it's worth, in modernist cuisine, they stated that the temperatures inside the rational combi ovens weren't very accurate below ~140 F. So I'm not sure how accurate this oven would be compared to the rational ones. 

A smaller oven could be an advantage in this regard -- less space to cover with temperature sensors and quicker response when the temp needs to change. 

That said, lots of useful sous vide tasks at 140F and above. You might not get a perfectly rare steak, but steaks are easy to do in a water bath. But short ribs braised in a sauce would be a game changer.

Likewise, if it's accurate above 140F it's useful for all manner of egg dishes where bagging or jarring underwater is a huge pain. 

For vegetables I see two advantages. One, low barrier to entry. If I'm serving carrots as a side dish on a weeknight, I'm not going to drag out a circulator and bag the carrots; I'm just going to roast them. Being able to do SV in the oven makes it an equivalent effort. On top of that, being able to temperature control a vegetable dish that's hard to fit into a bag would be really fantastic -- I can't be the only one who avoids making gratins because I can never get the potatoes done just right.