• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

Correcting Facts

@rotuts, this is going to drive you bonkers but the Anova Precision Cooker is a sous vide immersion stick and the Anova Precision Oven is a steam oven which can sous vide food without a bag.

My store clerk did not label the fish package which might have been mackerel (or possibly haddock).

Mid afternoon, the filets were dusted with s + p, and a few grains of demerara sugar. Not long before cooking the filets were covered with my vague appoximation of Modernist Cuisine's Fish Spice mix which I keep vacuum sealed in the freezer.

Filets were laid skin side down on a rack which went into the APO (set to 120°F) for 22 minutes.

A few issues: one, the fish was still uncooked on the skin side near the middle of the fish.

Two, how do people get a seared crust on the fish? (Mine had none). Can I turn on the broiler? Any idea how long it takes to get hot? Or should I use tried and true method of heating up a frying pan?

One of the reasons for wanting to do sous vide in the Anova Precision Oven is that I think the fish might take less handling, thus be less likely to fall apart.

Accompaniments were heirloom tomato diced, nuked for 15 seconds, fresh lime, fresh thyme, and smidgen of honey. Also leftover rice (nuked).

Tasted okay, not stellar.

TdeV

TdeV

@rotuts, this is going to drive you bonkers but the Anova Precision Cooker is a sous vide immersion stick and the Anova Precision Oven is a steam oven which can sous vide food without a bag.

My store clerk did not label the fish package which might have been mackerel (or possibly haddock).

Mid afternoon, the filets were dusted with s + p, and a few grains of demerara sugar. Not long before cooking the filets were covered with my vague appoximation of Modernist Cuisine's Fish Spice mix which I keep vacuum sealed in the freezer.

Filets were laid skin side down on a rack which went into the APO (set to 120°F) for 22 minutes.

A few issues: one, the fish was still uncooked on the skin side near the middle of the fish.

Two, how do people get a seared crust on the fish? (Mine had none). Can I turn on the broiler? Any idea how long it takes to get hot? Or should I use tried and true method of heating up a frying pan?

One of the reasons for wanting to do sous vide in the Anova Precision Oven is that I think the fish might take less handling, thus be less likely to fall apart.

Accompaniments were heirloom tomato diced, nuked for 15 seconds, fresh lime and smidgen of honey. Also leftover rice (nuked).

Tasted okay, not stellar.