• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

boilsover

boilsover

1 hour ago, &roid said:

As much as I’ve tried (and I really have tried) I just can’t get along with induction. Every unit I’ve used from a cheap single burner plug-in unit to a very expensive cooktop, has had limitations I just can’t get past. 

The main aim things I hate are... Am genuinely puzzled why people love them so?

Bravo!

Reasons why some love them (in my opinion's order of precedence):

1.  Convenience.  People like glass cooktops, but people tend to hate radiant glass tops.  They wipe (mostly) clean, and you can treat the glass like a countertop extension when you're not cooking.

2.  No real choice.  Many induction users would prefer gas, but don't have it available or not at a reasonable price to run lines.  Coil and radiant aren't serious contenders.  Likewise with venting--many people can't or won't put in a good hood for a high output gas range.

3.  Control.  What is really means is repeatability.  If you have 20 settings and you learn that 7 is right for X, you can set 7 every time.  Whereas with other modalities, you actually have to be more discerning.

4.  Aesthetic and Fashionable.  They tend to "disappear", and technophiles congratulate themselves on how "advanced" the modality is.  It's (and they're) so advanced, they don't mind fooling with touchpads and tubercular glowing digital displays.

5.  Cooler.  If you cook a lot indoors in hot climates, this is an advantage.  I say, "if you can't stand the heat..."

6.  Safety.  People think they and their little ones won't burn themselves.  This is not true, but they may not get burned as badly and you can't turn on a vacant hob accidentally.

7.  Energy Savings.  This isn't true, either, when you take into account the entire utility infrastructure(s).  Electricity savings over coil and radiant is real but tiny.  Cooktop energy consumption is an insignificant fraction of an average USA household's energy use. 

boilsover

boilsover

1 hour ago, &roid said:

As much as I’ve tried (and I really have tried) I just can’t get along with induction. Every unit I’ve used from a cheap single burner plug-in unit to a very expensive cooktop, has had limitations I just can’t get past. 

Bravo!

1.  Convenience.  People like glass cooktops, but people tend to hate radiant glass tops.  They wipe (mostly) clean, and you can treat the glass like a countertop extension when you're not cooking.

2.  No real choice.  Many induction users would prefer gas, but don't have it available or not at a reasonable price to run lines.  Coil and radiant aren't serious contenders.  Likewise with venting--many people can't or won't put in a good hood for a high output gas range.

3.  Aesthetic and Fashionable.  They tend to "disappear", and technophiles congratulate themselves on how "advanced" the modality is.  It's (and they're) so advanced, they don't mind fooling with touchpads and tubercular glowing digital displays.

4.  Cooler.  If you cook a lot indoors in hot climates, this is an advantage.  I say, "if you can't stand the heat..."

5.  Safety.  People think they and their little ones won't burn themselves.  This is not true, but they may not get burned as badly and you can't turn on a vacant hob accidentally.

6.  Energy Savings.  This isn't true, either, when you take into account the entire utility infrastructure(s).  Electricity savings over coil and radiant is real but tiny.  Cooktop energy consumption is an insignificant fraction of an average USA household's energy use. 

boilsover

boilsover

1 hour ago, &roid said:

Bravo!

3.  Aesthetic and Fashionable.  They tend to "disappear", and technophiles congratulate themselves on how "advanced" the modality is.  It's (and they're) so advanced, they don't mind fooling with touchpads and tubercular glowing digital displays.

4.  Cooler.  If you cook a lot indoors in hot climates, this is an advantage.  I say, "if you can't stand the heat..."

5.  Safety.  People think they and their little ones won't burn themselves.  This is not true, but they may not get burned as badly and you can't turn on a vacant hob accidentally.

6.  Energy Savings.  This isn't true, either, when you take into account the entire utility infrastructure(s).  Electricity savings over coil and radiant is real but tiny.  Cooktop energy consumption is an insignificant fraction of an average household's energy use.