• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shelby

Shelby

Then, I texted the guys and asked them if they wanted Italian or Mexican for dinner.  I didn't get a response so I opted for Italian.  

I was just starting to make the sauce when I I got a text back.  They wanted Mexican.

Of course lol.

So, I decided to continue and get the sauce done.  We'll have it tonight.  It's better the next day anyway.

Last summer I dehydrated a bunch of zucchini.  I opened a package of that and threw the "chips" into some hot water to hydrate them.  I'm not sure if that step was needed because the sauce might have done the job on it's own.  Anyway, here they are in some butter with some onion.

IMG_4575.jpg.bfe0a21efbbc0e0d01e2c68169ceaf88.jpg

I like to roast an eggplant over the flames of my stove burner and add it.  Gives the sauce a bit more depth (that sounded super chefy).  Also, I keep those little bottles of red and white wine for cooking with.

IMG_4576.JPG.032d8d5df5c522a325ad8e72384829b3.JPG

IMG_4577.JPG.e16fbebc0feaa0ce81a82d5226e66dcd.JPG

Italians and others who make their sauce the traditional way may not want to read further lol.  After cooking the squash and onions down, I added the wine, cooked it down and then added the eggplant.  And two beef bouillon cubes.  Gives it a little something.  Garlic, oregano, basil, black pepper were the spices used. Next the tomatoes were added and the heat was turned down to let it merrily simmer away.

It needs to cook down more which I will do here in a bit.

IMG_4578.jpg.27bcb4ca3f22701ed0d446e4311c1d08.jpg

Shelby

Shelby

Then, I texted the guys and asked them if they wanted Italian or Mexican for dinner.  I didn't get a response so I opted for Italian.  

I was just starting to make the sauce when I I got a text back.  They wanted Mexican.

Of course lol.

So, I decided to continue and get the sauce done.  We'll have it tonight.  It's better the next day anyway.

Last summer I dehydrated a bunch of zucchini.  I opened a package of that and threw the "chips" into some hot water to hydrate them.  I'm not sure if that step was needed because the sauce might have done the job on it's own.  Anyway, here they are in some butter with some onion.

IMG_4575.jpg.bfe0a21efbbc0e0d01e2c68169ceaf88.jpg

I like to roast an eggplant over the flames of my stove burner and add it.  Gives the sauce a bit more depth (that sounded super chefy).  Also, I keep those little bottles of red and white wine for cooking with.

IMG_4576.JPG.032d8d5df5c522a325ad8e72384829b3.JPG

IMG_4577.JPG.e16fbebc0feaa0ce81a82d5226e66dcd.JPG

Italians and others who make their sauce the traditional way may not want to read further lol.  After cooking the squash and onions down, I added the wine, cooked it down and then added the eggplant.  And two beef bouillon cubes.  Gives it a little something.

It needs to cook down more which I will do here in a bit.

IMG_4578.jpg.27bcb4ca3f22701ed0d446e4311c1d08.jpg