• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

It looks like a great food haul, and I love the story about the cattle living pumpkins! That's a very nice closed food cycle.

I'm especially eager to see what you do with the pork loin.

image.png

I always have to buy it on the sly, because my DH thinks pork must be ribs, ham or shoulder. While I agree that those are all worthy cuts, I like doing things with the tenderloin too. (Or other cuts, like the loin.) I hope I'll get some new ideas from you!

I cure it and make my version of "Canadian" bacon out of it.   Other than that, one way I can get a decent prep for it is sous vide.   

Another way I have liked pork loin is slice it thinnish raw, pound it thinner,  sear it on a hot grill, squeeze some lime on it and put it between two tortillas with some Mexican white cheese and flip it on the grill again to warm the tortillas and melt the cheese.   Serve with avocado salsa/tomatillo salsa.  These are called chuleta suizas, but I can't find an English version of the recipe to post at the moment.

lemniscate

lemniscate

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

It looks like a great food haul, and I love the story about the cattle living pumpkins! That's a very nice closed food cycle.

I'm especially eager to see what you do with the pork loin.

image.png

I always have to buy it on the sly, because my DH thinks pork must be ribs, ham or shoulder. While I agree that those are all worthy cuts, I like doing things with the tenderloin too. (Or other cuts, like the loin.) I hope I'll get some new ideas from you!

I cure it and make my version of "Canadian" bacon out of it.   Other than that, one way I can get a decent prep for it is sous vide.   

Another way I have like pork loin is slice it thinnish raw, pound it thinner,  sear it on a hot grill, squeeze some lime on it and put it between two tortillas with some Mexican white cheese and flip it on the grill again to warm the tortillas and melt the cheese.   Serve with avocado salsa/tomatillo salsa.  These are called chuleta suizas, but I can't find an English version of the recipe to post at the moment.