• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

cakewalk

cakewalk

spelling

Sorry that Poilane didn't work out. I don't have any tips for you, but you are brave for even trying that loaf! I've looked at that recipe many times and just shook my head, thinking, "maybe some other time." I don't know what the problem could have been. But I've had situations where a sourdough loaf just refused to budge at all. I know the starter is fine, so I don't understand what's going on. I usually balk at throwing it out, and what I've done in the past is just add some yeast. Dissolve it in warm water, incorporate it into the sourdough that won't rise, proof, and you will get a loaf of bread. Not the loaf you wanted, but most likely an edible, decent loaf. (But I'm sure next time you try that Poilane it will work.)

cakewalk

cakewalk

Sorry that Polaine didn't work out. I don't have any tips for you, but you are brave for even trying that loaf! I've looked at that recipe many times and just shook my head, thinking, "maybe some other time." I don't know what the problem could have been. But I've had situations where a sourdough loaf just refused to budge at all. I know the starter is fine, so I don't understand what's going on. I usually balk at throwing it out, and what I've done in the past is just add some yeast. Dissolve it in warm water, incorporate it into the sourdough that won't rise, proof, and you will get a loaf of bread. Not the loaf you wanted, but most likely an edible, decent loaf. (But I'm sure next time you try that Polaine it will work.)