• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

PatrickT

PatrickT

Added pics from final bake

Looks like everyone has been having a good time with their bakes during my hiatus. My wife Ann and I just came back from a 2-week road trip to Florida, visiting friends and former work colleagues. Gorgeous weather every day, but I missed y'all and missed my weekly bakes!

We have friends coming over on Sunday for a soup luncheon, so I thought I would try @Ann_T's process with a new Pane Siciliano recipe from Maurizio Leo at the Perfect Loaf. The Central Milling Semolina Wheat/Durum flour in this loaf is just amazing - the color is gorgeous and it feels so silky. Started the dough this afternoon and popped it in the fridge after the S&Fs, where it will remain until Saturday. I decided to make a yeasted dough and increased the hydration from 75% to 80% because the flour was still thirsty at 75%. I also added some rosemary and minced dried garlic to complement the soup we're making. I'll post additional pics on Saturday and Sunday. Anxious to see how this one tastes!

EDIT: It turned out to be an interesting experience with this dough. I decided to bake the loaf a day ahead and I'm really glad I did. It was in the fridge for about 2 days, then sat on the counter to BF/final proof for 21.5 HRS AT 68F! Why this dough took so incredibly long to proof is beyond me (bad yeast, perhaps?), but after that head scratcher, I decided to do the final proof and bake in a loaf tin. Final proof (on my oven's proof setting) took another 3.5 HRS! Did an egg wash and topped it with white and black sesame seeds. Not a lot of oven spring, but at least the loaf looked pretty. LOL Great crust and a dense but very moist and tender crumb, with an otherworldly color! Flavors were very subtle. I can't say that it's my favorite loaf I've ever baked, but it's certainly different. Our company loved it, so I was happy about that. Pics below.

IMG_2318.jpeg

IMG_2319.jpeg

IMG_2320.jpeg

IMG_2332.jpeg

IMG_2333.jpeg

IMG_2334.jpeg

IMG_2335.jpeg

IMG_2336.jpeg

IMG_2342.jpeg

PatrickT

PatrickT

Looks like everyone has been having a good time with their bakes during my hiatus. My wife Ann and I just came back from a 2-week road trip to Florida, visiting friends and former work colleagues. Gorgeous weather every day, but I missed y'all and missed my weekly bakes!

We have friends coming over on Sunday for a soup luncheon, so I thought I would try @Ann_T's process with a new Pane Siciliano recipe from Maurizio Leo at the Perfect Loaf. The Central Milling Semolina Wheat/Durum flour in this loaf is just amazing - the color is gorgeous and it feels so silky. Started the dough this afternoon and popped it in the fridge after the S&Fs, where it will remain until Saturday. I decided to make a yeasted dough and increased the hydration from 75% to 80% because the flour was still thirsty at 75%. I also added some rosemary and minced dried garlic to complement the soup we're making. I'll post additional pics on Saturday and Sunday. Anxious to see how this one tastes!

IMG_2318.jpeg

IMG_2319.jpeg

IMG_2320.jpeg

PatrickT

PatrickT

We have friends coming over on Sunday for a soup luncheon, so I thought I would try @Ann_T's process with a new Pane Siciliano recipe from Maurizio Leo at the Perfect Loaf. The Central Milling Semolina Wheat/Durum flour in this loaf is just amazing - the color is gorgeous and it feels so silky. Started the dough this afternoon and popped it in the fridge after the S&Fs, where it will remain until Saturday. I decided to increase the hydration from 75% to 80% because the flour was thirsty. I also added some rosemary and minced dried garlic to complement the soup we're making. I'll post additional pics on Saturday and Sunday. Anxious to see how this one tastes!

IMG_2318.jpeg

IMG_2319.jpeg

IMG_2320.jpeg

PatrickT

PatrickT

Looks like everyone has been having a good time with your bakes during my hiatus. My wife Ann and I just came back from a 2-week road trip to Florida, visiting friends and former work colleagues. Gorgeous weather every day, but I missed y'all and missed my weekly bakes!

We have friends coming over on Sunday for a soup luncheon, so I thought I would try @Ann_T's process with a new Pane Siciliano recipe from Maurizio Leo at the Perfect Loaf. The Central Milling Semolina Wheat/Durum flour in this loaf is just amazing - the color is gorgeous and it feels so silky. Started the dough this afternoon and popped it in the fridge after the S&Fs, where it will remain until Saturday. I decided to increase the hydration from 75% to 80% because the flour was thirsty. I also added some rosemary and minced dried garlic to complement the soup we're making. I'll post additional pics on Saturday and Sunday. Anxious to see how this one tastes!

IMG_2318.jpeg

IMG_2319.jpeg

IMG_2320.jpeg