• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

34 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

But a 1000g of flour is a 1000g of flour. Same with

water/liquids. 

Thank you so much, I will give it a try but a lot of the problem with the bread here is with the wheat. All that I can get is a soft wheat product produced in Central America. I used to be able to get a good wheat product from Canada but I haven't seen it in about 5 years.

Even with other people's recipes, I still go by the feel of the dough and my expectations of the outcome rather than by their measurements of the liquid because even though I may be using the same flour everyday, the temperature and the humidity in the air can make my measurements different every time.

I will never in my lifetime be able to turn out a loaf of bread as beautiful as yours. I am happy to make bread that is 100% better than what I can buy here.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

31 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

water/liquids. 

Thank you so much, I will give it a try but a lot of the problem with the bread here is with the wheat. All that I can get is a soft wheat product produced in Central America. I used to be able to get a good wheat product from Canada but I haven't seen it in about 5 years.

Even with other people's recipes, I still go by the feel of the dough and my expectations of the outcome rather than by their measurements of the liquid because even though I may be using the same flour everyday, the temperature and the humidity in the air can make my measurements different every time.

I will never in my lifetime be able to turn out a loaf of bread i as beautiful as yours. I am happy to make bread that is 100% better than what I can buy here.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

21 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

water/liquids. 

Even with other people's recipes, I still go by the feel of the dough rather than by their measurements of the liquid because even though I may be using the same flour everyday, the temperature and the humidity in the air can make my measurements different every time.