• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paul o' vendange

paul o' vendange

Really trying to get a few mainstays down.  Using the Rubaud method I am finding it difficult to get an even crumb structure from make to make for my pain au levain, but tweaking (e.g., breaking bench in two, S & F for a second pre-shape at 15 minutes, rest add'l 15, S & F again, for total bench rest of 30 minutes).  Did pick up some strength with these last-period folds, but work in progress.  Satisfactory, just not there yet.

63% Central Millings Baker's Craft Plus

25% Hi-Pro Medium WW

12% (Local) dark rye

80% hydration

Overnight autolyse with flours, salt and chilled water; free rise to room temp overnight.

Adding in only 12% levain inoculation (from Trevor/Breadwerx)

Rubaud x 10 minutes; rest 10; finish with 5 minutes for total of 15 minutes Rubaud mixing.

S & F's 1-4 every 1/2 hour;

S & F's 4-8 on the hour.  Because I wasn't happy with the strength at 6 hours bulk, I dared an add'l 30 minutes and then several light folds to effect a tighter pre-shape.  Given continuing concern over the dough's slackness, I broke the 30 minute bench rest in two:  15 minutes, do an add'l S & F/pre-shape, rest 15, then a final shaping.

Proof x 2 hours.  Set proofing temp of 76F.

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

paul o' vendange

paul o' vendange

Really trying to get a few mainstays down.  Using the Rubaud method I am finding it difficult to get an even crumb structure from make to make for my pain au levain, but tweaking (e.g., breaking bench in two, S & F for a second pre-shape at 15 minutes, rest add'l 15, S & F again, for total bench rest of 30 minutes(.  Did pick up some strength with these last-period folds, but work in progress.  Satisfactory, just not there yet.

63% Central Millings Baker's Craft Plus

25% Hi-Pro Medium WW

12% (Local) dark rye

80% hydration

Overnight autolyse with flours, salt and chilled water; free rise to room temp overnight.

Adding in only 12% levain inoculation (from Trevor/Breadwerx)

Rubaud x 10 minutes; rest 10; finish with 5 minutes for total of 15 minutes Rubaud mixing.

S & F's 1-4 every 1/2 hour;

S & F's 4-8 on the hour.  Because I wasn't happy with the strength at 6 hours bulk, I dared an add'l 30 minutes and then several light folds to effect a tighter pre-shape.  Given continuing concern over the dough's slackness, I broke the 30 minute bench rest in two:  15 minutes, do an add'l S & F/pre-shape, rest 15, then a final shaping.

Proof x 2 hours.  Set proofing temp of 76F.

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg