• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

On 6/16/2020 at 8:20 AM, weinoo said:

Anyone use one of these to mix doughs?

2144423650_DoughmixerIMG_1286.jpeg.fe98a0bfd270aeaccf60ddcffc0a31de.jpeg

I find it works very well for that initial mixing of no-knead, or almost no-knead breads.

I've been using them for many years. I have two sizes, one longer and two a bit shorter.  I bought one at Solvang, CA in the mid-1980s - actually 1984. During the Olympics the Beverly Hills Kennel Club had to relocate their summer dog show to Buelton and we moved our Basenji Club specialty show there also. Since it was close to Solvang, many of us went there for dining and to shop. One kitchen shop had an impressive selection of baking implements and I bought several.

I have posted about them several times. I use them to mix the dough for my scones or biscuits, cookie dough and very stiff rye doughs.  Also to blend the fruit and nut mixtures that I use to make sugarplums.  

"

...This is what is known as a "Danishwhisk" and is ideal for mixing quick breads as it mixes the ingredients rapidly without working the batter too much. This is particularly useful with regular wheat flour batters where you do not want to develop the gluten. It is easy to grasp, for those of us...
andiesenji

andiesenji

On 6/16/2020 at 8:20 AM, weinoo said:

Anyone use one of these to mix doughs?

2144423650_DoughmixerIMG_1286.jpeg.fe98a0bfd270aeaccf60ddcffc0a31de.jpeg

I find it works very well for that initial mixing of no-knead, or almost no-knead breads.

I've been using them for many years. I have two sizes, one longer and two a bit shorter.  I bought one at Solvang, CA in the mid-1980s - actually 1984. During the Olympics the Beverly Hills Kennel Club had to relocate their summer dog show to Buelton and we moved our Basenji Club specialty show there also. Since it was close to Solvang, many of us went there for dining and to shop. One kitchen shop had an impressive selection of baking implements and I bought several.

I have posted about them several times. I use them to mix the dough for my scones or biscuits, cookie dough and very stiff rye doughs.  Also to blend the fruit and nut mixtures that I use to make sugarplums.