• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Spelling: "acidic" instead of original "acid"

5 hours ago, heidih said:

Yeast is on the way but meanwhile David Lebovitz's whole grain soda bread was whispering in my ear. Has anyone made it? No lemons I can reach - picker MIA,  - lots of oranges. Is that acidic enough? Plan on craisins v. raisins (none here). Only "milk" I have is unsweetened almond milk. There is some cottage cheese I could buzz. Thoughts?  https://www.davidlebovitz.com/whole-wheat-wholewheat-irish-wholegrain-soda-bread/

That's a fine essay. Thank you for the link. I really need to read him more regularly.

As far as the recipe goes, I don't think the orange juice will be acidic enough. As I recall, Navel orange juice has a pH of around 4, maybe slightly higher; lemon juice (Eureka or Lisbon, not Meyer) has a pH around 2.5. (This article says 4.35 for orange, and 2.30 for lemon, and notes that the acidity of both decays with age.) I wonder if you could use baking powder instead of, or in addition to, the baking soda to compensate?

I also have my doubts about using almond milk instead of milk. I'd go with the cottage cheese instead, which should be closer to the fat content. 

Edited to add: got any citric acid sitting around from a canning project?

Smithy

Smithy

5 hours ago, heidih said:

Yeast is on the way but meanwhile David Lebovitz's whole grain soda bread was whispering in my ear. Has anyone made it? No lemons I can reach - picker MIA,  - lots of oranges. Is that acidic enough? Plan on craisins v. raisins (none here). Only "milk" I have is unsweetened almond milk. There is some cottage cheese I could buzz. Thoughts?  https://www.davidlebovitz.com/whole-wheat-wholewheat-irish-wholegrain-soda-bread/

That's a fine essay. Thank you for the link. I really need to read him more regularly.

As far as the recipe goes, I don't think the orange juice will be acid enough. As I recall, Navel orange juice has a pH of around 4, maybe slightly higher; lemon juice (Eureka or Lisbon, not Meyer) has a pH around 2.5. (This article says 4.35 for orange, and 2.30 for lemon, and notes that the acidity of both decays with age.) I wonder if you could use baking powder instead of, or in addition to, the baking soda to compensate?

I also have my doubts about using almond milk instead of milk. I'd go with the cottage cheese instead, which should be closer to the fat content. 

Edited to add: got any citric acid sitting around from a canning project?