• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chord

chord

20 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@chord - a question.  I went and looked at the recipes and I plan to make a couple of them, seeing how well yours turned out. I was wondering about your baking vessel.  It looks to me like you used a loaf pan.  I don't have the Pyrex bowls that she recommends and, anyway, I prefer loaves.  I have two of the loaf pans in the sizes she recommends.  Did you increase your ingredients by 1.5, as she says?  Thanks!

I only have a single loaf pan, so I made a 3/4 recipe. Below are the actual amounts I used. As I'm at altitude, my version is light on the yeast. Also, I realize now that I didn't account for the different flour weights, so there's less cornmeal and more whole wheat flour than in the published recipe.

Ingredient
Percentage
3/4 Recipe
AP flour
240g
Cornmeal
48g
Whole wheat flour
96g
1 cup boiling water
+ 1 cup 110F water
177g + 177g
Molasses
61g (3 tbsp)
Butter
21g (1.5 tbsp)
Kosher Salt
9g (1.5 tsp Diamond/.75 tsp Mortons)
Yeast (@high altitude)
3g (1.1 tsp yeast)

ETA: I previously made the standard recipe and really liked that as well. I made half of it in an Anchor Hocking glass bowl and the other half in the loaf pan as a short loaf:

IMG_4022.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

There's a lot more info on the standard recipe at Alexandra Stafford's blog: https://alexandracooks.com/2012/11/07/my-mothers-peasant-bread-the-best-easiest-bread-you-will-ever-make/

chord

chord

13 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@chord - a question.  I went and looked at the recipes and I plan to make a couple of them, seeing how well yours turned out. I was wondering about your baking vessel.  It looks to me like you used a loaf pan.  I don't have the Pyrex bowls that she recommends and, anyway, I prefer loaves.  I have two of the loaf pans in the sizes she recommends.  Did you increase your ingredients by 1.5, as she says?  Thanks!

I only have a single loaf pan, so I made a 3/4 recipe. Below are the actual amounts I used. As I'm at altitude, my version is light on the yeast. Also, I realize now that I didn't account for the different flour weights, so there's less cornmeal and more whole wheat flour than in the published recipe.

Ingredient
Percentage
3/4 Recipe
AP flour
240g
Cornmeal
48g
Whole wheat flour
96g
1 cup boiling water
+ 1 cup 110F water
177g + 177g
Molasses
61g (3 tbsp)
Butter
21g (1.5 tbsp)
Kosher Salt
9g (1.5 tsp Diamond/.75 tsp Mortons)
Yeast (@high altitude)
3g (1.1 tsp yeast)

ETA: I previously made the standard recipe and really liked that as well. I made half of it in an Anchor Hocking glass bowl and the other half in the loaf pan as a short loaf:

IMG_4022.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

chord

chord

Just now, Kim Shook said:

Ingredient
Percentage
3/4 Recipe
AP flour
240g
Cornmeal
48g
Whole wheat flour
96g
1 cup boiling water
+ 1 cup 110F water
177g + 177g