• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chord

chord

I'm one of those folks who never really did much baking until being trapped inside by the pandemic. I was lucky to get my hands on some yeast in early April and I've been making a variety of baked goods since then.

This is Anadama Peasant Bread. I got the recipe here, but it's originally from Bread Toast Crumbs, by Alexandra Stafford.

IMG_4099.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg

ETA:

I forgot about my questions.

1. The loaf has a ragged edge. Is that a blowout? Should I try to score the bread next time, even though it's a really wet dough with 92% hydration?
  2. The top of the loaf shows some yellowish spots and streaks. I thought I mixed it well before the rise. Any idea why I see the color variation?
chord

chord

I'm one of those folks who never really did much baking until being trapped inside by the pandemic. I was lucky to get my hands on some yeast in early April and I've been making a variety of baked goods since then.

This is Anadama Peasant Bread. I got the recipe here, but it's originally from Bread Toast Crumbs, by Alexandra Stafford.

IMG_4099.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg

ETA:

1. On the edge of the loaf there's a ragged edge. Is that a blowout? Should I try to score the bread next time, even though it's a really wet dough with 92% hydration?
  2. The top of the loaf shows some yellowish spots and streaks. I thought I mixed it well before the rise. Any idea why I see the color variation?
chord

chord

IMG_4099.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg

ETA:

1. On the edge of the loaf there's a ragged edge. Is that a blowout? Should I try to score it next time, even though it's a really wet dough with 92% hydration?
chord

chord

IMG_4099.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg

chord

chord

I'm one of those folks who never really did much baking until being inside for the pandemic. I was lucky to get my hands on some yeast in early April and I've been making a variety of baked goods since then.

IMG_4099.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg

chord

chord

I'm one of those folks who never really did much baking until being inside for the pandemic. I was lucky to get my hands on some yeast in early April and I've been making a variety of baked goods since then.

This is Andama Peasant Bread. I got the recipe here, but it's originally from Bread Toast Crumbs, by Alexandra Stafford.

IMG_4099.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg

chord

chord

This is Andama Peasant Bread. I got the recipe here, but it's originally from Bread Toast Crumbs, by Alexandra Stafford.

IMG_4099.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg