• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

On 11/4/2019 at 11:08 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am sad.  I have an ongoing problem with getting my dough strong enough.  Last week I beat it on high speed and got some strength, but my crumb suffered.  This week I tried doubling my recipe to 1,200 g flour at 68% hydration to see if the larger batch would mix better.  It didn't.  By the Modernist Bread method I mixed 8 minutes on low, added the salt slurry, mixed 2 minutes more, and then 2 minutes on speed 2.

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am firmly persuaded my problem is with the mixing.  I use a KitchenAid KSM8990WH.  According to many authors bread dough is supposed to form a ball around the dough hook.  My dough does not.  It sits in a puddle in the bottom of the bowl.  Unless I run the KitchenAid on ludicrous speed,* in which case the dough mixes but the resulting crumb suffers mightily.

I think you may be right. When I was making dough in my KitchenAid, there's no way that 10 minutes on low + 2 minutes on speed 2 would have formed any reasonable quantity of gluten in my dough.

Does Modernist Bread specifically call for a KA in its timings?

Are you letting the dough rest and autolyse between the 8 minute mix and the salt slurry? That might help the gluten form on its own a bit.

Rather than increasing the speed, I would let it continue running on speed 2 at the end until you get more structure.

Final thing I might try is backing off on the water a bit -- I make another bread around 68% and humidity can really mess with it.

21 minutes ago, teonzo said:

It takes some time for the dough to form a ball on the hook, but your times should be enough. Beware about one important thing: never go over speed 2 for bread making and similar doughs, otherwise you will ruin your stand mixer. It's stated in the instruction manual.

Sadly I can vouch for this from personal experience. Granted I have one of the early-aughts "Pro" models with the plastic gear housing. Need to actually take it apart this weekend to start the repair.

dtremit

dtremit

On 11/4/2019 at 11:08 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am sad.  I have an ongoing problem with getting my dough strong enough.  Last week I beat it on high speed and got some strength, but my crumb suffered.  This week I tried doubling my recipe to 1,200 g flour at 68% hydration to see if the larger batch would mix better.  It didn't.  By the Modernist Bread method I mixed 8 minutes on low, added the salt slurry, mixed 2 minutes more, and then 2 minutes on speed 2.

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am firmly persuaded my problem is with the mixing.  I use a KitchenAid KSM8990WH.  According to many authors bread dough is supposed to form a ball around the dough hook.  My dough does not.  It sits in a puddle in the bottom of the bowl.  Unless I run the KitchenAid on ludicrous speed,* in which case the dough mixes but the resulting crumb suffers mightily.

I think you may be right. When I was making dough in my KitchenAid, there's no way that 10 minutes on low + 2 minutes on speed 2 would have formed any reasonable quantity of gluten in my dough.

Does Modernist Bread specifically call for a KA in its timings?

Are you letting the dough rest and autolyse between the 8 minute mix and the salt slurry? That might help the gluten form on its own a bit.

Rather than increasing the speed, I would let it continue running on speed 2 at the end until you get more structure.

15 minutes ago, teonzo said:

It takes some time for the dough to form a ball on the hook, but your times should be enough. Beware about one important thing: never go over speed 2 for bread making and similar doughs, otherwise you will ruin your stand mixer. It's stated in the instruction manual.

Sadly I can vouch for this from personal experience. Granted I have one of the early-aughts "Pro" models with the plastic gear housing. Need to actually take it apart this weekend to start the repair.