• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Franci

Franci

It looks instead I never baked in my life 😅🤣🤣🤣 Disaster guys. But I don’t think it’s matter of techniques, I bet it’s just yeast and flour. 

Of course I say something and never follow. I decided to try the longer rise. Usual quantities 348g flour, 75% water, salt 8g, oil 8g and yeast only .5g of red star. 

I made the dough and even checked the temperature 22C. Kept it a room temperature for two hours and then refrigerated (6pm). The morning after I decided to take it out of the refrigerator because it didn’t move not even a bit, at 6:30am, by noon it didn’t rise much so I turn on the proofing function of my oven and there it went until almost 4pm. At that point I did what in Italian is called the staglio *cut *, no really cut for me because I only had one portion and shaping using the Arletto  style. BTW I have a link for you from this guy with different shaping options depending on your time for the « appretto » the rise after the cut. 

Usually for the teglia romana the dough comes out of the refrigerator and you do the cut and the shaping approximately 4-5 hours before baking. I did a double rise. I think clearly my yeast is too low. And I used King Arthur bread flour, I need to buy at least Caputo blu. I think I did an ok job in shaping the dough for the teglia and the transfer on the pan. Oven was with the stone function at 550F. 

I think first I will try to avoid the double rise, make the dough, leave at room temperature 1-2 hours, fridge, shape, proof. I think I will start by doubling my yeast to 1g and see what happens. 

First photo is the dough just poured on the table after the first rise, then shaped, 2nd rise, final shameful product. 

1320CE9D-8505-4FF4-BFC3-5A3D7238F41F.jpeg

23A6E36B-56CF-426B-A839-F203024D3B8C.jpeg

A0DC2934-03A1-4C7C-80D9-A2DFDB3F4CA7.jpeg

EB9386A0-11CC-4E38-B19D-5A214C398B16.jpeg

Franci

Franci

It looks instead I never baked in my life 😅🤣🤣🤣 Disaster guys. But I don’t think it’s matter of techniques, I bet it’s just yeast and flour. 

Of course I say something and never follow. I decided to try the longer rise. Usual quantities 348g flour, 75% water, salt 8g, oil 8g and yeast only .5g of red star. 

I made the dough and even checked the temperature 22C. Kept it a room temperature for two hours and then refrigerated (6pm). The morning after I decided to take it out of the refrigerator because it didn’t move not even a bit, at 6:30am, by noon it didn’t rise much so I turn on the proofing function of my oven and there it went until almost 4pm. At that point I did what in Italian is called the staglio *cut *, no really cut for me because I only had one portion and shaping using the Aiello style. BTW I have a link for you from this guy with different shaping options depending on your time for the « appretto » the rise after the cut. 

Usually for the teglia romana the dough comes out of the refrigerator and you do the cut and the shaping approximately 4-5 hours before baking. I did a double rise. I think clearly my yeast is too low. And I used King Arthur bread flour, I need to buy at least Caputo blu. I think I did an ok job in shaping the dough for the teglia and the transfer on the pan. Oven was with the stone function at 550F. 

I think first I will try to avoid the double rise, make the dough, leave at room temperature 1-2 hours, fridge, shape, proof. I think I will start by doubling my yeast to 1g and see what happens. 

First photo is the dough just poured on the table after the first rise, then shaped, 2nd rise, final shameful product. 

Franci

Franci

I made the dough and even checked the temperature 22C. Kept it a romp temperature for two hours and then refrigerated (6pm). The morning after I decided to take it out of the refrigerator because it didn’t move not even a bit, at 6:30am, by noon it didn’t rise much so I turn on the proofing function of my oven and there it went until almost 4pm. At that point I did what in Italian is called the staglio *cut *, no really cut for me because I only had one portion and shaping using the Aiello style. BTW I have a link for you from this guy with different shaping options depending on your time for the « appretto » the rise after the cut.