• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

OlyveOyl

OlyveOyl

@AlaMoi For the four mini baguettes, I used 270 g. KA bread flour, 1T rye optional, a T Sourdough starter..very optional, 5.5 g salt, 1 t yeast, 1t evoo.  Water…200g. was too much, dough was a little too wet and sticky, so I’ve been reducing it a bit. I’d start at maybe 175 g.  This started out as basically a no knead bread with 80% hydration but I’ve not made it that way.  Certainly hand kneading is an option with this small amount of dough, I would not bother with a mixer.  I use the FP because it’s so fast.  All the dry  ingredients get added to FP and pulsed , add starter if using and evoo, pulse again. As my kitchen /flour were warm, I used 40* water poured into the processor in one go…motor on. Process a total of 45 seconds..if the dough looks to wet/ sticky , add in a couple tablespoons flour.  It should clean the processor. I made only two this morning with 150g flour, 100 g. water..this needed a little more flour as well. I knead a minute on the countertop and then place in oiled covered container until doubled.  Remove, gently shape into a rectangle and divide into 4 pieces.  Shape as for a standard baguette. Let double  while preheating oven to  425*.  Reduce to 400*, bake about 15 minutes convection bake…a little steam would be nice. I think I covered it all, lmk if I’ve left anything out! The two I made today got studded with rosemary but I also add rosemary to the dry ingredients and process …this gives a lovely flavor when processed in with the dough.

IMG_6452.jpeg

OlyveOyl

OlyveOyl

For the four mini baguettes, I used 270 g. KA bread flour, 1T rye optional, a T Sourdough starter..very optional, 5.5 g salt, 1 t yeast, 1t evoo.  Water…200g. was too much, dough was a little too wet and sticky, so I’ve been reducing it a bit. I’d start at maybe 175 g.  This started out as basically a no knead bread with 80% hydration but I’ve not made it that way.  Certainly hand kneading is an option with this small amount of dough, I would not bother with a mixer.  I use the FP because it’s so fast.  All the dry  ingredients get added to FP and pulsed , add starter if using and evoo, pulse again. As my kitchen /flour were warm, I used 40* water poured into the processor in one go…motor on. Process a total of 45 seconds..if the dough looks to wet/ sticky , add in a couple tablespoons flour.  It should clean the processor. I made only two this morning with 150g flour, 100 g. water..this needed a little more flour as well. I knead a minute on the countertop and then place in oiled covered container until doubled.  Remove, gently shape into a rectangle and divide into 4 pieces.  Shape as for a standard baguette. Let double  while preheating oven to  425*.  Reduce to 400*, bake about 15 minutes convection bake…a little steam would be nice. I think I covered it all, lmk if I’ve left anything out! The two I made today got studded with rosemary but I also add rosemary to the dry ingredients and process …this gives a lovely flavor when processed in with the dough.

IMG_6452.jpeg

OlyveOyl

OlyveOyl

For the four mini baguettes, I used 270 g. KA bread flour, 1T rye optional, a T Sourdough starter..very optional, 5.5 g salt, 1 t yeast, 1t evoo.  Water…200g. was too much, dough was a little too wet and sticky, so I’ve been reducing it a bit. I’d start at maybe 175 g.  This started out as basically a no knead bread with 80% hydration but I’ve not made it that way.  Certainly hand kneading is an option with this small amount of dough, I would not bother with a mixer.  I use the FP because it’s so fast.  All the dry  ingredients get added to FP and pulsed , add starter if using and evoo, pulse again. As my kitchen /flour were warm, I used 40* water poured into the processor in one go…motor on. Process a total of 45 seconds..if the dough looks to wet/ sticky , add in a couple tablespoons flour.  It should clean the processor. I made only two this morning with 150g flour, 100 g. water..this needed a little more flour as well. I knead a minute on the countertop and then place in oiled covered container until doubled.  Remove, gently shape into a rectangle and divide into 4 pieces.  Shape as for a standard baguette. Let double  while preheating oven to  425*.  Reduce to 400*, bake about 15 minutes convection bake…a little steam would be nice. I think I covered it all, lmk if I’ve left anything out! The two I made today got studded with rosemary but I add rosemary to the dry ingredients and process …this gives a lovely flavor when processed in with the dough.

IMG_6452.jpeg