• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

The last episode of season 4 is titled Mayo.  Sorry to see the season end.   They did a mayo-tasting with folks at the restaurant with Miracle Whip, Hellman's, Dukes and Blue Plate.  I thought it was curious that no winner or results were given but I learned the reason today in listening to an interview with Vivan on the Eater podcast.  Vivian says that there was a winner and it was initially included in the show but PBS asked them to remove it lest it look too much like a product endorsement.   She also said that PBS required that the Biltmore sponsor spot that appears at the end of the show be edited to remove the smiling people.  Again, sounds like it was looking too much lime a commercial.

It's a good interview.  Much more in-depth than some others I've heard.  You can listen or read the transcript at the link above.

Edited to add that in this episode, she made a dish for the restaurant that I would love to try if they share a recipe.  She cooked a local fish sous vide with a lot of oil (+ other seasonings) in the bag.  Picked the fish off the bones, made mayo with the poaching oil (and other seasonings) and used both in a fish salad, riffing on the classic tuna salad with mayo.  Sounds like a little dab of this was served on a cracker or toast as an amuse bouche. Sounds ever so tasty.  I'd imagine the fishy-ness of that oil will vary a lot depending on the particular fish with a fatty fish possibly being overwhelming but it seems like a brilliant way to concentrate the flavor of a lighter fish.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

The last episode of season 4 is titled Mayo.  Sorry to see the season end.   They did a mayo-tasting with folks at the restaurant with Miracle Whip, Hellman's, Dukes and Blue Plate.  I thought it was curious that no winner or results were given but I learned the reason today in listening to an interview with Vivan on the Eater podcast.  Vivian says that there was a winner and it was initially included in the show but PBS asked them to remove it lest it look too much like a product endorsement.   She also said that PBS required that the Biltmore sponsor spot that appears at the end of the show be edited to remove the smiling people.  Again, sounds like it was looking too much lime a commercial.

It's a good interview.  Much more in-depth than some others I've heard.  You can listen or read the transcript at the link above.