• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

Clarity

Chromedome, my childhood leftover fish cakes were called Bubble & Squeak which had last night's fish, vegetables and potatoes. Parents were Brits who had gone through the war, so the recipe was not Canadian in origin.

Blue_dolphin, we could commiserate for some time about how terrible were my/your childhood Friday Fish dinners! Thanks for the reminder about the Salt Cod Diary topic which I read long ago. Maybe it's what started my search for Jone's Salt Cod history/recipe book!

Darienne, the best Fish & Chips I ever tasted came from a one-man shop run by an Eastern European (Lithuania?) in Toronto's Cabbagetown. Don't know where I'd find Fish & Chips around here!

TdeV

TdeV

Clarity

Chromedome, my childhood leftover fish cakes were called Bubble & Squeak which had last night's fish, vegetables and potatoes. Parents were Brits who had gone through the war, so the recipe was not Canadian in origin.

Blue_dolphin, we could commiserate for some time about how terrible were my childhood Friday Fish dinners! Thanks for the reminder about the Salt Cod Diary topic which I read long ago. Maybe it's what started my search for Jone's Salt Cod history/recipe book!

Darienne, the best Fish & Chips I ever tasted came from a one-man shop run by an Eastern European (Lithuania?) in Toronto's Cabbagetown. Don't know where I'd find Fish & Chips around here!

TdeV

TdeV

Chromedome, my childhood leftover fish cakes were called Bubble & Squeak which had last night's fish, vegetables and potatoes.They were Brits who had gone through the war, so the recipe was not Canadian in origin.

Blue_dolphin, we could commiserate for some time about how terrible were my childhood Friday Fish dinners! Thanks for the reminder about the Salt Cod Diary topic which I read long ago. Maybe it's what started my search for Jone's Salt Cod history/recipe book!

TdeV

TdeV

Chromedome, my childhood leftover fish cakes were called Bubble & Squeak which had last night's fish, vegetables and potatoes.They were Brits who had gone through the war, so the recipe was not Canadian in origin.