• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

as yesterday was a Snowday , at least in the afternoon , I took advantage of it to make some more Turkey Ragu.

this time I doubled the Rx  ( 1/4 lb generic bacon , 1 lb ( or 20 oz ) ground turkey ( StonybrookFarm ) , 1/2 cup 1/2 & 1/2, 1/4 lb Sweet Italianish Sauage ( SBF ) )

I don't like licorice flavor , would never use fennel bulb ....   but a little fennel flavor in Ragu is nice 

the double portion fit nicely in the IP right up to the limit for this sort of thing.

I portion it out into little tubs and freeze it  :

TR Container.jpg

I took advantage  of the NEWeather , and put 8 of these outside in the snow , covered  and then in the AM  bagged and vacuum sealed them.

on the L is a trick Ive learned  pre-vaccum seal :  rough up the frozen top w the back of a spoon . it eliminated sharp edges and most of the air pockets

the one on the R has not been done yet.  I had one bag failure due to a sharp edge !

TR bagged .jpg

these are what the bags look like frozen and ready to go into the basement SV Freezer.

I take the frozen brick out of the bag and put it back in the plastic container  when  I thaw  them for dinner .  its a mess to get the

ragu out of a bag when not frozen.

w the addition of the italian-ish sausage the flavor really did improve.  Id use pork italian sausage , but none of it is made at markets here

and the list of ingredients that AgraCon uses are amazing.   SBFarm's are more reasonable.   ill get some fennel seed and use that in the future.

Oooooops !  1 jar 32 oz marinara sauce.  this time i used MarketBasket generic.  it was fine.  on Sale !  99 cents a Jar !

rotuts

rotuts

as yesterday was a Snowday , at least in the afternoon , I took advantage of it to make some more Turkey Ragu.

this time I doubled the Rx  ( 1/4 lb generic bacon , 1 lb ( or 20 oz ) ground turkey ( StonybrookFarm ) , 1/2 cup 1/2 & 1/2, 1/4 lb Sweet Italianish Sauage ( SBF ) )

I don't like licorice flavor , would never use fennel bulb ....   but a little fennel flavor in Ragu is nice 

the double portion fit nicely in the IP right up to the limit for this sort of thing.

I portion it out into little tubs and freeze it  :

TR Container.jpg

I took advantage  of the NEWeather , and put 8 of these outside in the snow , covered  and then in the AM  bagged and vacuum sealed them.

on the L is a trick Ive learned  pre-vaccum seal :  rough up the frozen top w the back of a spoon . it eliminated sharp edges and most of the air pockets

the one on the R has not been done yet.  I had one bag failure due to a sharp edge !

TR bagged .jpg

these are what the bags look like frozen and ready to go into the basement SV Freezer.

I take the frozen brick out of the bag and put it back in the plastic container  when  I thaw  them for dinner .  its a mess to get the

ragu out of a bag when not frozen.

w the addition of the italian-ish sausage the flavor really did improve.  Id use pork italian sausage , but none of it is made at markets here

and the list of ingredients that AgraCon uses are amazing.   SBFarm's are more reasonable.   ill get some fennel seed and use that in the future.