• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

17 minutes ago, chefmd said:

It looks very elaborate, I am impressed that you can make a dish like that quickly.  Do you usually buy live prawns?  Can you tell difference in taste compared to the usual not live kind? 

Thank you. I am happy you think it looks elaborate. I can assure you it wasn't. It took around twenty minutes for the rice to cook, during which time I cooked the rest. (That doesn't include defrosting time). Normally, I do curries much more slowly, but when you get home at 8 pm after leaving home at 6 am and have hardly eaten all day, you can find shortcuts.

Live prawns / shrimp are "usual" here. Pre-frozen are available, but unusual, and usually poor quality. These ones were described as being wild caught and I trust my delightful seafood provider.

I would say yes, I can taste a difference. Fresher. Just more prawn flavour, I guess.

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 minutes ago, chefmd said:

It looks very elaborate, I am impressed that you can make a dish like that quickly.  Do you usually buy live prawns?  Can you tell difference in taste compared to the usual not live kind? 

Thank you. I am happy you think it looks elaborate. I can assure you it wasn't. It took around twenty minutes for the rice to cook, during which time I cooked the rest. (That doesn't include defrosting time). Normally, I do curries much more slowly, but when you get home at 8 pm after leaving home at 6 am and have hardly eaten all day, you can find shortcuts.

Live prawns / shrimp are "usual" here. Pre-frozen are available, but unusual, and usually poor quality. These ones were described as being wild caught and I trust my delightful seafood provider..