• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

Oh wow.  You dehydrate them oiled.  That's interesting -- my worry is about oil going rancid over time in regular room-temp air.

It's on my mind because I'm trying to approximate (with improvements) a version of dehydrated hummus.  [Again -- this is for the trial; there's a commercial version of dehydrated hummus to which you just add regular-temp water.  We do that, and slather it on pita, it's a really good lunch that even a vegetarian can enjoy.  But of course I'm certain that I can do it tastier, and more cheaply.].

What I'd like to try is, make a fully-hooked-up bean puree with garlic and seasoning and -- ahem, oil; and the dehydrate that.  But I haven't come across a notion of dehydrating stuff finished and fatty.  In fact, the warning for meats is:  use the lean cuts because the fats are going to go rancid.  Which is where I got the worry of rancidity.

We're not going anywhere until autumn at the earliest, so I have some time to experiment.  But I had actually been leaning toward -- dehydrate cooked beans, then pulverize it into a dry good.  Add dry seasoning (carefully, and obvs no tahine), and consider carrying any oil for last minute flourish.  

@kayb, your experience of dehydrating oiled produce suggests that something else might be possible, tho.  I might just go on and try to dehydrate a finished product (seasoned and even oiled).  

SLB

SLB

Oh wow.  You dehydrate them oiled.  That's interesting -- my worry is about oil going rancid over time in regular room-temp air.

It's on my mind because I'm trying to approximate (with improvements) a version of dehydrated hummus.  [Again -- this is for the trial; there's a commercial version of dehydrated hummus to which you just add regular-temp water.  We do that, and slather it on pita, it's a really good lunch that even a vegetarian can enjoy.  But of course I'm certain that I can do it tastier, and more cheaply.].

What I'd like to try is, make a fully-hooked-up bean puree with garlic and seasoning and -- ahem, oil; and the dehydrate that.  But I haven't come across a notion of dehydrating stuff finished and fatty.  In fact, the warning for meats is:  use the lean cuts because the fats are going to go rancid.  Which is where I got the worry of rancidity.

We're not going anywhere until autumn at the earliest, so I have some time to experiment.  But I had actually been leaning toward -- dehydrate cooked beans, then pulverize the dry good.  Add dry seasoning (carefully, and obvs no tahine), and consider carrying any oil for last minute flourish.  

@kayb, your experience of dehydrating oiled produce suggests that something else might be possible, tho.  I might just go on and try to dehydrate a finished product (seasoned and even oiled).  

SLB

SLB

We're not going anywhere until autumn at the earliest, so I have some time to experiment.  But I had actually been leaning toward -- dehydrate cooked beans, then pulverize the dry good.  Add dry seasoning (carefully, and obvs no tahine), and consider carrying any oil for last minute flourish.  

Your experience of dehydrating oiled produce suggests that something else might be possible, tho.  I might just go on and try to dehydrate a finished product (seasoned and even oiled).