• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Darienne

Darienne

I use my dehydrator regularly.  And because I kept the trays from my old one which bit the dust last year, I can actually load it more heavily for some easily dehydrated items, like sliced onions, or at least set up trays before emptying others.

I dehydrate onions...into the food processor for slicing...because often when I am cooking large batches of stuff, I am just too lazy to deal properly with the onion instructions and just dump in enough dried onions.  Plus my hands don't work well anymore.  On occasion we can buy ten pounds of onions very cheaply.  In fact, I have a bag awaiting my attention as we speak.

I also dehydrate beef liver for the dogs.  Costs a fortune to buy dehydrated at a pet store and I can do the job at home.  First into a regular oven to cook, chop into small pieces and into the dehydrator to dry out completely.

Also make fruit leathers, particularly apple with or without chopped nuts in it. 

I'm going to try some dehydrated vegetable slices next.

Right.  Forgot the endless apple rings.

Darienne

Darienne

I use my dehydrator regularly.  And because I kept the trays from my old one which bit the dust last year, I can actually load it more heavily for some easily dehydrated items, like sliced onions, or at least set up trays before emptying others.

I dehydrate onions...into the food processor for slicing...because often when I am cooking large batches of stuff, I am just too lazy to deal properly with the onion instructions and just dump in enough dried onions.  Plus my hands don't work well anymore.  On occasion we can buy ten pounds of onions very cheaply.  In fact, I have a bag awaiting my attention as we speak.

I also dehydrate beef liver for the dogs.  Costs a fortune to buy dehydrated at a pet store and I can do the job at home.  First into a regular oven to cook, chop into small pieces and into the dehydrator to dry out completely.

Also make fruit leathers, particularly apple with or without chopped nuts in it. 

I'm going to try some dehydrated vegetable slices next.