• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

Other than the purchased pickled ones I mentioned up-topic, my only crabapple experience is careaking a line of 20 young ones for the botanic garden. They were destined to be espaliered in the "rare fruit orchard" but the plan got delayed due to manpower issues. So...they fruited even in less than ideal sunlight - tough guys.  I picked some for myself and a friend to taste. I loved the tartness and flavor raw. My friend reminisced about his mom's jelly. I think they would be good thinly sliced in a salad. 

heidih

heidih

Other than the purchased pickled ones I mentioned up-topic, my only crabapple experience is careaking a line of 20 young ones for the botanic garden. They were destined to be espalied in the "rare fruit orchard" but the plan got delayed due to manpower issues. So...they fruited even in less than ideal sunlight - tough guys.  I picked some for myself and a friend to taste. I loved the tartness and flavor raw. My friend reminisced about his mom's jelly. I think they would be good thinly sliced in a salad.