• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

28 minutes ago, Tere said:

Do you think the famous tomato chutney would work with green tomatoes?

I'm certainly not an expert with that recipe.  I think the flavors would work very well with green tomatoes but I wonder if all the spices and long cook time would result in an unpleasant grayish color?
Depending on how tart the tomatoes are I might use less cayenne and give it a taste to see if it wants a little more sugar.

I've been getting some lovely yellow tomatoes from a local farmstand.  They are very sweet and I was thinking I might use some to make a less-hot version but had the same concerns about the pretty yellow tomatoes turning muddy.  Maybe I'll just get enough for a small batch and try it out.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

16 minutes ago, Tere said:

Do you think the famous tomato chutney would work with green tomatoes?

I'm certainly not an expert with that recipe.  I think the flavors would work very well with green tomatoes but I wonder if all the spices and long cook time would result in an unpleasant greyish color.
Depending on how tart the tomatoes are I might use less cayenne and give it a taste to see if it wants a little more sugar.

I've been getting some lovely yellow tomatoes from a local farmstand.  They are very sweet and I was thinking I might use some to make a less-hot version but had the same concerns about the pretty yellow tomatoes turning muddy.  Maybe I'll just get enough for a small batch and try it out.