• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FauxPas

FauxPas

To try and explain more clearly, maybe a photo or two will help. I'm afraid I don't have a freshly done jar which would illustrate it even better. 

The mesh is cut just slightly larger than the mouth so that it will fit into the jar with a slight bit of bending and will sit on top of the vegetable matter just where the neck widens into the body of the jar, at the shoulder, maybe? Because the mesh is a strong plastic and because it is just that little bit bigger than the neck, it stays in place really nicely.

If I was going to cut one out, I'd probably use the canning ring for the jar and cut on the outside edge of that circumference. It's about 9 cm or a scant 4 inches maybe. 

I'm not saying this is the only way to do things, I'm just saying it's a method used by a woman here who teaches fermenting and I thought it was fairly elegant. After the mesh is put in place, the MasonTop Picklepipe can be used to release gas. 

PXL_20240126_170913807.thumb.jpg.68335d017f19f3dfc240963d3c4934d0.jpg

PXL_20240126_171246558.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.3b4ffba1a522c653eaab3d928fccc7c7.jpg

Edited to add:  The cheese mesh is a durable, food-safe plastic that can be re-used. It can be cleaned in a dishwasher or by hand. 

FauxPas

FauxPas

To try and explain more clearly, maybe a photo or two will help. I'm afraid I don't have a freshly done jar which would illustrate it even better. 

The mesh is cut just slightly larger than the mouth so that it will fit into the jar with a slight bit of bending and will sit on top of the vegetable matter just where the neck widens into the body of the jar, at the shoulder, maybe? Because the mesh is a strong plastic and because it is just that little bit bigger than the neck, it stays in place really nicely.

If I was going to cut one out, I'd probably use the canning ring for the jar and cut on the outside edge of that circumference. It's about 9 cm or a scant 4 inches maybe. 

I'm not saying this is the only way to do things, I'm just saying it's a method used by a woman here who teaches fermenting and I thought it was fairly elegant. After the mesh is put in place, the MasonTop Picklepipe can be used to release gas. 

PXL_20240126_170913807.thumb.jpg.68335d017f19f3dfc240963d3c4934d0.jpg

PXL_20240126_171246558.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.3b4ffba1a522c653eaab3d928fccc7c7.jpg