• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Senior Sea Kayaker

Senior Sea Kayaker

10 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you.  I can get crabapples, that's the easy part.  My SIL has a couple of ancient apple trees on her property and if my husband goes down to see his mother before they freeze he can bring some of those back and I'll use them instead.  But I'm curious - why is it a waste of apples if one has to buy them?  Also, when you strained the mixture, do you scrape the solids through or just use the juice?

I just pushed as much juice as possible through the sieve as it would be eventually be filtered through cheesecloth.

As a child of parents who grew up during the Great Depression I can't abide wasting food. I suppose repurposing the apple pulp to make applesauce or apple butter would avoid wasting it.

Post how your version turns out.

Cheers.

Senior Sea Kayaker

Senior Sea Kayaker

3 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you.  I can get crabapples, that's the easy part.  My SIL has a couple of ancient apple trees on her property and if my husband goes down to see his mother before they freeze he can bring some of those back and I'll use them instead.  But I'm curious - why is it a waste of apples if one has to buy them?  Also, when you strained the mixture, do you scrape the solids through or just use the juice?

I just pushed as much juice as possible through the sieve as it would be eventually filtered through cheesecloth.

As a child of parents who grew up during the Great Depression I can't abide wasting food. I suppose repurposing the apple pulp to make applesauce or apple butter would avoid wasting it.

Post how your version turns out.

Cheers.