• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MaryIsobel

MaryIsobel

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I want to make some hot red pepper jelly.  Ingredients are red bell peppers, Scotch bonnets, sugar, vinegar and pectin.  Is there any reason why I can't freeze this in canning jars instead of canning them in a boiling water  bath?  Thanks!

Certainly not an authority but I have done that and am here to tell the tale. I find by the time I have all the lids and rings on, the first ones have "pinged" and the rest continue to do so. We all have to judge just how "by the book" we want to go. So big disclaimer: Just sharing my personal experience.

MaryIsobel

MaryIsobel

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I want to make some hot red pepper jelly.  Ingredients are red bell peppers, Scotch bonnets, sugar, vinegar and pectin.  Is there any reason why I can't freeze this in canning jars instead of canning them in a boiling water  bath?  Thanks!

Certainly not an authority but I have done that and am here to tell the tale. I find by the time I have all the lids and rings on, the first ones have "pinged" and he rest continue to do so. We all have to judge just how "by the book" we want to go. So big disclaimer: Just sharing my personal experience.