• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Senior Sea Kayaker

Senior Sea Kayaker

1 hour ago, haresfur said:

First try fermenting some peppers for hot sauce. Vacuum sealed with 3% by weight salt. You can see the bags are puffing up with carbon dioxide from the ferment. I left lots of extra bag so don't think it will need to be vented and I don't plan on finishing it until July. One bag is Hungarian hots and the other Hungarian hot plus jalapenos. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b81735e35dcac4d289dac7024e48f6d0.jpeg

This intrigued me as I've always done fermentations where the CO2 is vented so I ran some rough numbers using conservative estimates for the sugar content of the peppers and the equilibrium point of the reaction.

Based on a 2% sugar content you should expect approximately 10 liters of CO2 from a Kg. of starting material.

Curious to see the how your fermentation progresses.

Senior Sea Kayaker

Senior Sea Kayaker

52 minutes ago, haresfur said:

First try fermenting some peppers for hot sauce. Vacuum sealed with 3% by weight salt. You can see the bags are puffing up with carbon dioxide from the ferment. I left lots of extra bag so don't think it will need to be vented and I don't plan on finishing it until July. One bag is Hungarian hots and the other Hungarian hot plus jalapenos. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b81735e35dcac4d289dac7024e48f6d0.jpeg

This intrigued me as I always done fermentations where the CO2 is vented so I ran some rough numbers using conservative estimates for the sugar content of the peppers and the equilibrium point of the reaction.

Based on a 2% sugar content you should expect approximately 10 liters of CO2 from a Kg. of starting material.

Curious to see the progress.