• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FauxPas

FauxPas

Along with my usual tiny batches of apricot and raspberry jams, I made some plum jam this year. Others here have probably made something similar to this, but it's the first time I've made a Mulled Wine Plum Jam and I just love it. I made a REALLY small batch from maybe about 300 to 350 grams of prune plums and the finished jam only filled a 240 ml container at the end. I had to eat a couple of plums for quality control (ha) and didn't reweigh after, so can't provide a real recipe, but there are lots online. I don't know why I've never tried this one before. 

I winged it a bit based on a couple of recipes - recipes suggested red wine, but I finished off the remains of a bottle of dry rosé, ha. I didn't have nutmeg and used a splash of Grand Marnier in place of orange juice or orange zest. 

Basic recipe is to cook equal amounts wine and sugar (I used about 1/3 to 1/2 cup or so?) until slightly thickened, remove pits and cut plums into pieces and add to sugar mix along with cinnamon stick or two, 4 or 5 cloves and splash of Grand Marnier. Cook in a shallow and wide pan until desired thickness - I can tell by stirring and how much of a trail the spoon makes, but you can always use the refrigerated plate test. Obviously I'm not doing any water bath stuff when I only make 1 or 2 of these, so it just goes into a canning-type jar and into the fridge once it cools. 

I didn't bother removing the plum skins because I like them! And I apologize for the hungry bite I took before taking the photo, but I really love this stuff. Maybe it's all the booze in it, ha!) Why did it take me so long to try making this? 😄

1472179853_PXL_20200918_162232452(1).thumb.jpg.59af6be6678ede604233afbcf73bad52.jpg

FauxPas

FauxPas

Along with my usual tiny batches of apricot and raspberry jams, I made some plum jam this year. Others here have probably made something similar to this, but it's the first time I've made a Mulled Wine Plum Jam and I just love it. I made a REALLY small batch from maybe about 300 to 350 grams of prune plums and the finished jam only filled a 240 ml container at the end. I had to eat a couple of plums for quality control (ha) and didn't reweigh after, so can't provide a real recipe, but there are lots online. I don't know why I've never tried this one before. 

I winged it a bit based on a couple of recipes - recipes suggested red wine, but I finished off the remains of a bottle of dry rosé, ha. I didn't have nutmeg and used a splash of Grand Marnier in place of orange juice or orange zest. 

Basic recipe is to cook equal amounts wine and sugar (I used about 1/3 to 1/2 cup or so?) until slightly thickened, remove pits and cut plums into pieces and add to sugar mix along with cinnamon stick or two, 4 or 5 cloves and splash of Grand Marnier. Cook in a shallow and wide pan until desired thickness - I can tell by stirring and how much of a trail the spoon makes, but you can always use the refrigerated plate test. Obviously I'm not doing any water bath stuff when I only make 1 or 2 of these, so it just goes into a canning-type jar and into the fridge once it cools. 

I didn't bother removing the plum skins because I like them! And I apologize for the hungry bite I took before taking the photo, but I really love this stuff. Why did it take me so long to try making this? 😄

1472179853_PXL_20200918_162232452(1).thumb.jpg.59af6be6678ede604233afbcf73bad52.jpg