• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

Giving some thought to the material used in these spatulas, I decided to refresh my memory about silicone that contains certain adulterants and came across this site - http://www.lifewithoutplastic.com/store/is_silicone_a_plastic#.V7BcKxL2ZrQ.

There's a lot of info at the site that some here may find useful.  One item is a method for determining if a product is pure silicone, as opposed to adulterated silicone.  Do the spatulas mentioned in this thread pass this test?  

If you are going to use silicone, be sure it is high quality, food grade silicone and does not contain any fillers.

To test a product for fillers you can pinch and twist a flat surface of it to see if any white shows through. If so, a filler likely

has been used. As a result, the product may not be uniformly heat resistant and may impart an odor to food. But most

importantly, you will have no idea what the filler is and it may leach unknown chemicals into the food. For all you know,

the filler may be a silicone of low quality or not silicone at all.

Shel_B

Shel_B

Giving some thought to the material used in these spatulas, I decided to refresh my memory about silicone that contains certain adulterants and came across this site - http://www.lifewithoutplastic.com/store/is_silicone_a_plastic#.V7BcKxL2ZrQ.

We feel uneasy about silicone cookware.  While silicone is durable and has a high temperature resistance, it makes

us queasy to be heating food to very high temperatures in a material like silicone which has now been shown to leach

and is not completely inert and stable.  

There's a lot of other info at the site that some here may find useful.  One item is a method for determining if a product is pure silicone, as opposed to adulterated silicone.  Do these spatulas pass this test?  

If you are going to use silicone, be sure it is high quality, food grade silicone and does not contain any fillers.

To test a product for fillers you can pinch and twist a flat surface of it to see if any white shows through. If so, a filler likely

has been used. As a result, the product may not be uniformly heat resistant and may impart an odor to food. But most

importantly, you will have no idea what the filler is and it may leach unknown chemicals into the food. For all you know,

the filler may be a silicone of low quality or not silicone at all.