• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

I often have meatless meals and have posted MANY of them here on eG. There are too many to list in this thread, but here is one I posted just yesterday. Here's the post previous to that where, except for the chicken stock for the soup, everything else was meatless. And so on and so forth.

Can't say I feel the need for a "name" for them. :-) They are just "meals", and the great majority of them are NOT salads but, rather, cooked meals. Even stir-fried lettuces, in the Chinese manner (YUM!). Have a look at my posts on the dining/meal threads. ;-)

It is true that on eGullet, meat-eating appears to be very dominant and meatless meals tend to be somewhat disdained by many. For myself, like for many who eat a lot of E/SE Asian food, the absence of meat and/or sparing use of meat is unremarkable and common. Fish, which I believe is not considered "meat" by most folks here (and by the category known as Pescatarians in the West) is more common in E/SE Asian diets. 

As for fresh sprouts (mung beans or soy beans are the most common) - I assume folks know these things are available in great quantities in E/SE Asian groceries.  (The aged, packaged-far-in-the-past stuff in sealed plastic packages in the "Organic" sections in standard Western supermarkets are too dreadful for words in most cases)

huiray

huiray

I often have meatless meals and have posted MANY of them here on eG. There are too many to list in this thread, but here is one I posted just yesterday. Can't say I feel the need for a "name" for them. :-) They are just "meals", and the great majority of them are NOT salads but, rather, cooked meals. Even stir-fried lettuces, in the Chinese manner (YUM!). Have a look at my posts on the dining/meal threads. ;-)

It is true that on eGullet, for example, meat-eating appears to be very dominant and meatless meals tend to be somewhat disdained by many. For myself, like for many who eat a lot of E/SE Asian food, the absence of meat and/or sparing use of meat is unremarkable and common. Fish, which I believe is not considered "meat" by most folks here (and by the category known as Pescatarians in the West) is more common in E/SE Asian diets. 

As for fresh sprouts (mung beans or soy beans are the most common) - I assume folks know these things are available in great quantities in E/SE Asian groceries.  (The aged, packaged-far-in-the-past stuff in sealed plastic packages in the "Organic" sections in standard Western supermarkets are too dreadful for words in most cases)