• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

@Okanagancook I have no idea what variety they are but they look great! No, they don't have to be dried. You can harvest them fresh. The pods in the picture look very fresh - I tend to wait until the are shriveled and dry looking. Fresh shell beans are considered a delicacy in Italian cooking (and probably other ethnicities as well) but I never seem to get to harvest mine when there are enough still fresh. You can't really mix dried and fresh beans. I let mine dry because they are so much better than store bought beans ( and cheaper than expensive varieties - about $1.50  for seeds gives me about 4 cups of dried beans, which equals 4 meals.) I actually like the taste of beans that have been dried over those cooked fresh but that's just me. 9_9  If you can easily puncture the shell with your fingernail then they are 'fresh' - either cook them right away, freeze them or dry them. If the skin of the bean gives resistance then they are getting dry. Your dry beans look a lot like pictures I find of appaloosa beans. Whatever they are I bet they will be delicious - SO much better than store bought beans. 

ElainaA

ElainaA

I have no idea what variety they are but they look great! No, they don't have to be dried. You can harvest them fresh. The pods in the picture look very fresh - I tend to wait until the are shriveled and dry looking. Fresh shell beans are considered a delicacy in Italian cooking (and probably other ethnicities as well) but I never seem to get to harvest mine when there are enough still fresh. You can't really mix dried and fresh beans. I let mine dry because they are so much better than store bought beans ( and cheaper than expensive varieties - about $1.50  for seeds gives me about 4 cups of dried beans, which equals 4 meals.) I actually like the taste of beans that have been dried over those cooked fresh but that's just me. 9_9  If you can easily puncture the shell with your fingernail then they are 'fresh' - either cook them right away, freeze them or dry them. If the skin of the bean gives resistance then they are getting dry. Your dry beans look a lot like pictures I find of appaloosa beans. Whatever they are I bet they will be delicious - SO much better than store bought beans.