• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

@huiray   I would love to use the squash flowers but sadly they are magnets for cucumber beetles - rendering them uneatable, at least to me. And the weather this year is making the insect problems huge. The squash vine borers have not shown up yet but I expect they will. The squash grow so quickly that it is difficult to catch them all small. And I like some large ones for stuffing and for zucchini bread. And the local food pantry and Loaves and Fishes are very glad to get the excess - to me that is a better use than putting them in my compost. Although if we go away for more than two days there will be some so big they are worth nothing but compost.Also - can you really be a country gardener if you don't have a plethora of zucchini? :D

ElainaA

ElainaA

@huiray   I would love to use the squash flowers but sadly they are magnets for cucumber beetles - rendering them uneatable, at least to me. And the weather this year is making the insect problems huge. The squash grow so quickly that it is difficult to catch them all small. And i like some large ones for stuffing and for zucchini bread. And the local food pantry and Loaves and Fishes are very glad to get the excess - to me that is a better use than putting them in my compost. Although if we go away for more than two days there will be some so big they are worth nothing but compost.Also - can you really be a country gardener if you don't have a plethora of zucchini? :D