• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

DianaB

DianaB

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Yes, it does.  The new/white ones taste just like sweet corn and are crisp.  I eat them raw.  The darker ones are more like a mushroom.  They more absorb other flavors that you cook them with.

I've never grown corn and certainly never seen Smut before.  Would you mind sharing how it develops? Is it a fungal parasitic type thing?  I'm guessing it doesn't ruin the corn however it originates?  

ETA As as I hit post I realised I should have Googled first!  Apologies...

DianaB

DianaB

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Yes, it does.  The new/white ones taste just like sweet corn and are crisp.  I eat them raw.  The darker ones are more like a mushroom.  They more absorb other flavors that you cook them with.

I've never grown corn and certainly never seen Smut before.  Would you mind sharing how it develops? Is it a fungal parasitic type thing?  I'm guessing it doesn't ruin the corn however it originates?