• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JeanneCake

JeanneCake

ETA more detail about food distributor

I can't get past the "I want to pick it out myself" - whether it is dairy, meat, fish, produce .... I want to know it's not just a few days from expiration or the berries on the under part of the packaging are wet and won't last the day before the whole package goes south.  It might be from constantly checking the stuff that we bring in house from our distributors - if I buy a case of heavy cream, I want to know the expiration date is a month out because that tells me they just got it in; versus Restaurant Depot having heavy cream on the shelf that has a use by date within 7 days because that tells me they've been sitting on it for a while and their turnover is not that great. I can send it back if I don't like how something looks when it arrives, and I can bypass the stuff I don't want on the shelf and choose something with a later date/etc. With the  meal plan, how do you send back the food if you don't like the look of some of what's in the box?  Then what do  you do - call for pizza?

For those younger people who use it, is there a tutorial or something you can follow along on a smartphone while you do your own prep for the featured recipe/meal? - and getting some experience with it maybe that, in turn, will inspire them after a while to venture out and shop/buy/cook outside the meal plan.....

JeanneCake

JeanneCake

I can't get past the "I want to pick it out myself" - whether it is dairy, meat, fish, produce .... I want to know it's not just a few days from expiration or the berries on the under part of the packaging are wet and won't last the day before the whole package goes south.  It might be from constantly checking the stuff that we bring in house from our distributors - if I buy a case of heavy cream, I want to know the expiration date is a month out because that tells me they just got it in; versus Restaurant Depot having heavy cream on the shelf that has a use by date within 7 days because that tells me they've been sitting on it for a while and their turnover is not that great.

For those younger people who use it, is there a tutorial or something you can follow along on a smartphone while you do your own prep for the featured recipe/meal? - and getting some experience with it maybe that, in turn, will inspire them after a while to venture out and shop/buy/cook outside the meal plan.....