• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

clarity

12 minutes ago, campus five said:

Next I tried the Saturn on recommendation from a friend. 

gin / lemon juice

passion fruit syrup / falernum / orgeat

So, this was just ok, but I think my passion fruit syrup is on the tart side, plus this was before the mixer arrived, so the under-dilution did it no favors.

What passion fruit syrup are you using (and also, what gin, out of curiosity)? I've been happy with B.G. Reynolds which isn't very tart. I constantly tweak recipes so things aren't too sweet for me (it's easy to start with slightly less syrup, and add a bit as needed). Also this is a cocktail where the quality of the falernum & orgeat you use is going to make a big impact as well.

FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse

3 minutes ago, campus five said:

So, this was just ok, but I think my passion fruit syrup is on the tart side, plus this was before the mixer arrived, so the under-dilution did it no favors.

What passion fruit syrup are you using (and also, what gin, out of curiosity)? I've been happy with B.G. Reynolds which isn't very tart. I constantly tweak recipes so things aren't too sweet for me (it's easy to start with slightly less syrup, and add a bit as needed). Also this is a cocktail where the quality of the falernum & orgeat you use is going to make a big impact as well.