• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

1) Don't name it RadioactiveCow.

2) Since your site will be one of hundreds of thousands of similar sites (and stores), don't expect people to have 'exceptional experiences' there. You will be lucky if they even happen upon your site (unless you are willing to put out large sums of money, search engines won't list you anywhere near the front page!) - and it is probable that however different or 'necessary to human life' you believe your teas will be, they will not be as unique as you think they are (but they better be top quality merchandise for a very fair price and not too expensive to ship - you will have to love this business because you won't get rich doing it!).

3) Be professional. Spend the time and money to make sure your interface and shopping 'system' are easy to read, complete/accurate, logical, clear and simple but comprehensive, and everything is spelled correctly and flows well. Test, test, test, and test again. Don't try to use a cheapie 'packaged' solution and open up after a long weekend of work. Additionally, you may want to spend a year or two first writing a blog (preferably about teas - which I hope you are an expert in) and garnering a large audience so they can be your first customers when you open this 'store').

p.s. For many (like me) buying online is about TRUST! A new crappy looking site with questionable merchandise is not going to get me to part with my credit card # and $. Ensure your site is SECURE.

Deryn

Deryn

1) Don't name it RadioactiveCow.

2) Since your site will be one of hundreds of thousands of similar sites (and stores), don't expect people to have 'exceptional experiences' there. You will be lucky if they even happen upon your site (unless you are willing to put out large sums of money, search engines won't list you anywhere near the front page!) - and it is probable that however different or 'necessary to human life' you believe your teas will be, they will not be as unique as you think they are (but they better be top quality merchandise for a very fair price and not too expensive to ship - you will have to love this business because you won't get rich doing it!).

3) Be professional. Spend the time and money to make sure your interface and shopping 'system' are easy to read, complete/accurate, logical, clear and simple but comprehensive, and everything is spelled correctly and flows well. Test, test, test, and test again. Don't try to use a cheapie 'packaged' solution and open up after a long weekend of work. Additionally, you may want to spend a year or two first writing a blog (preferably about teas - which I hope you are an expert in) and garnering a large audience so they can be your first customers when you open this 'store').