• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject

After over 20 attempts, I think I've finally perfected my bo li guo tie (cut glass crispy-bottomed dumplings) recipe. They're dumplings you fry until the bottoms are just golden, and then pour in a slurry and steam them, till the water evaporates off and the slurry fries into a lacy, crispy, shatter-y, buttery 'skirt', and you slide them out of the pan bottoms up, in one connected crunchy disc.

It's all about the right flour (I've finally settled on tapioca, after trying wheat flour, bread flour, cake flour, rice flour, sticky rice flour, corn flour and potato flour) and the right amount of water, oil, heat and time.

The dumplings themselves are kimchi, tofu, cabbage and chopped sweet potato noodles, and the dipping sauce is soy, apple vinegar, sesame oil and dried chilli threads.

dumplings.jpg

dumplings2.jpg

rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject

After over 20 attempts, I think I've finally perfected my bo li guo tie (cut glass crispy-bottomed dumplings) recipe. They're dumplings you fry until the bottoms are just golden, and then pour in a slurry and steam them, till the water evaporates off and the slurry fries into a lacy, crispy, shatter-y, buttery 'skirt', and you slide them out of the pan bottoms up, in one connected crunchy disc.

It's all about the right flour (I've finally settled on tapioca, after trying wheat flour, bread flour, cake flour, rice flour, sticky rice flour, corn flour and potato flour) and the rice amount of water, oil, heat and time.

The dumplings themselves are kimchi, tofu, cabbage and chopped sweet potato noodles, and the dipping sauce is soy, apple vinegar, sesame oil and dried chilli threads.

dumplings.jpg

dumplings2.jpg