• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New microwaves

Tere

While I would hope the price might drop if sales of this Adventurer microwave take off in the US, I might well be interested because of all the car travelling I do. If it could 'cook' (rather than just heat up) a meal for me in the car - even just one - before the battery runs out (I could recharge it at night or maybe someone will invent a lithium battery 'solar' or car charger), it might be a fun and potentially useful gadget to have.

Edited by Deryn (log)

Funny you should ask.  I've been rereading The Food Lab, and last night reached the section where Kenji waxes eloquent about the microwave:

"Even the heat from an oven or a red-hot poker is EM radiation.  It's everywhere, but again, not all radiation is dangerous.  Microwaves fall squarely into the "non-dangerous" category."

When I last renewed my Federal amateur radio license I had to certify I had read the FCC (US Federal Communications Commission) document on the dangers of microwave radiation.  I had been interested in this new culinary technology back in the early 1970's before the dangers were recognized.  Indeed, conveniently the company that manufactured my radio transmitter, International Crystal, also offered a microwave device for cooking.

I don't want one in my kitchen and I don't want one in my backpack.  Tin hat theory:  I've never owned a cell phone either, and a cell phone is a lot lower power.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou