• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Bentley

Bentley

On 7/4/2016 at 3:22 PM, Jim D. said:

Bentley,

Sorry about your food processor.  Maybe you could use liquor (as recommended by gap) to thin the PDF.  So how does the finished product taste?  How is the sweetness level (I would assume the PDF part is on the rather sweet side since you added corn syrup)?

I like your shell decoration.  Do you mind telling how you did it?  And what sort of brush did you use for the white dots and the yellow streaks?

It didn't take very much corn syrup to get to a pipeable consistency.  There is so much sugar and corn syrup in the PDF to begin with.  I didn't really notice any additional sweetness.  I would like to experiment with using alcohol to thin it out.  I could have maybe used a coconut rum in this case.  

The shell was done with a spatter of white cocoa butter done by running my fingers across the bristles of a toothbrush, then a splatter of yellow made by shaking a paint brush.  Then a finger swirl of a light green, then airbrush half red and half darker green. 

Bentley

Bentley

6 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Bentley,

Sorry about your food processor.  Maybe you could use liquor (as recommended by gap) to thin the PDF.  So how does the finished product taste?  How is the sweetness level (I would assume the PDF part is on the rather sweet side since you added corn syrup)?

I like your shell decoration.  Do you mind telling how you did it?  And what sort of brush did you use for the white dots and the yellow streaks?

It didn't take very much corn syrup to get to a pipeable consistency.  There is so much sugar and corny syrup in the PDF to begin with.  I didn't really notice any additional sweetness.  I would like to experiment with using alcohol to thin it out.  I could have maybe used a coconut rum in this case.  

The shell was done with a spatter of white cocoa butter done by running my fingers across the bristles of a toothbrush, then a splatter of yellow made by shaking a paint brush.  Then a finger swirl of a light green, then airbrush half red and half darker green. 

Bentley

Bentley

3 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Bentley,

It didn't take very much corn syrup to get to a pipeable consistency.  There is so much sugar and corny syrup in the PDF to begin with.  I didn't really notice any additional sweetness.  I would like to experiment with using alcohol to thin it out.  I could have maybe used a coconut rum in this case.  

The shell was done with a spatter of white cocoa butter using a toothbrush, then a splatter of yellow made by shaking a paint brush.  Then a finger swirl of a light green, then airbrush half red and half darker green.